No power to starter selinoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No power to starter selinoid

If I take a wire and extend the yellow wire going to the selinoid and touch the positive post on the battery it will crank the engine..so selinoid is good.

Problem is that I have no reaction when I push the starter button. I have taken the switch apart and cleaned the starter button post and the kill switch terminals..all are working properly.

When I had the switch opened up, I tried shorting across the orange wires to see if it would make the starter hit but to no avail. This leads me to think that somewhere theres no power in that circuitry. So whats the pathway for the power once I turn on the key? I am color blind and "tried" to follow along on the colored diagram that Valorsolo had done but its all spaghetti to me. I was cranking the engine by shorting across the selinoid posts and wasnt getting spark ( see my igniter thread) but now I wonder if theres no spark because the starter button isnt working??

I have put in all new fuses, cleaned all the connectors, and have been wiggling wires with the button taped in with the hope that some wiggling may find the problem and make it hit...but to no avail.

Does the front brake light switch have to be in for the power to flow?? Its missing so thats why i ask.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

orange/white comes from fuse box to kill switch. when kill switch is ON, it powers the starter button. the orange wire from the ignition switch feeds the fuse box.
    you do not need a brake light switch to make it all work.
    that is on a GS1000EC (UK) anyway but is the same for all GS's i think
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Sounds like your kill switch/wiring is no good ( this would prevent power going to ignition coils and ignitor -plus no power to starter button). Try using 12 volt positive jumper wire to orange/white wires on ignition coils and then do the your solenoid jumper stuff with the extended yellow/green trigger wire. leave kill switch in "OFF" position so juice won't flow that way.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        If I take a wire and extend the yellow wire going to the selinoid and touch the positive post on the battery it will crank the engine..so selinoid is good.

Problem is that I have no reaction when I push the starter button. I have taken the switch apart and cleaned the starter button post and the kill switch terminals..all are working properly.

When I had the switch opened up, I tried shorting across the orange wires to see if it would make the starter hit but to no avail. This leads me to think that somewhere theres no power in that circuitry. So whats the pathway for the power once I turn on the key? I am color blind and "tried" to follow along on the colored diagram that Valorsolo had done but its all spaghetti to me. I was cranking the engine by shorting across the selinoid posts and wasnt getting spark ( see my igniter thread) but now I wonder if theres no spark because the starter button isnt working??

I have put in all new fuses, cleaned all the connectors, and have been wiggling wires with the button taped in with the hope that some wiggling may find the problem and make it hit...but to no avail.

Does the front brake light switch have to be in for the power to flow?? Its missing so thats why i ask.
        Power comes through the kill switch and splits, powers the coils and the starter motor solenoid via the starter button, on different circuits. If there is no power to the coils i.e. bike won't run, and the starter isn't working, check power from the fusebox to the kill switch

Comment

JAG...I got power thru all the fuses according to the meter..I will go back to the right hand assembly and see what the meter says. Its making sense that if the power isnt getting to the starter, then it isnt getting to the coils either..thus no sparking.

Being color blind this electrical stuff is a BEOTCH!!!!
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

this electrical stuff is a BEOTCH!!!!

.......Full stop!!!! Hate the stuff.

Comment

So the problem has been resolved. Just when I thought the connections were "clean" I noticed that the fuse box terminals werent so good looking. Took the back off the box and cleaned it on the inside and ran the fuse holders against the wire wheel and shined them all up..got 11.46 at the kill switch. Flipped it and got the starter button to crank it over. And wouldnt you know it.....spark on all 4 plugs!!!!

Comment

So the problem has been resolved. Just when I thought the connections were "clean" I noticed that the fuse box terminals werent so good looking. Took the back off the box and cleaned it on the inside and ran the fuse holders against the wire wheel and shined them all up..got 11.46 at the kill switch. Flipped it and got the starter button to crank it over. And wouldnt you know it.....spark on all 4 plugs!!!!
                Da Dah

Comment

Working...
                X