No announcement yet.

Solid State Power Box STANDARD INSTALLATION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok Jim, trying to wrap up my sspb install but have some questions.

I followed your post above except I havent done the headlamp mod just yet. Two things seem off though. My headlight stays on when cranking is that supposed to be right?

The other is the sspb yellow wire that is labeled y/g. If I hook that up to my solonoid trigger wire, nothing happens. If hook my harness y/g to the solonoid trigger and leave your yellow wire unhooked up, it fires up and runs as it should. Where should I be looking to figure out what Did wrong? I dont think thats the way its supposed to work correct?
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Oh, something else just cropped up. After I turn the key on and the sspb powers on, I turn the key off and the sspb has a faint whine coming out of it and my dash lights are still on but dimmed. It stays that way until I disconnect the w/g wire going to the sspb's white wire. Wierd...
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
        Ok Jim, trying to wrap up my sspb install but have some questions.

I followed your post above except I havent done the headlamp mod just yet. Two things seem off though. My headlight stays on when cranking is that supposed to be right?

The other is the sspb yellow wire that is labeled y/g. If I hook that up to my solenoid trigger wire, nothing happens. If hook my harness y/g to the solenoid trigger and leave your yellow wire unhooked up, it fires up and runs as it should. Where should I be looking to figure out what Did wrong? I dont think thats the way its supposed to work correct?
        The Y/G harness wire (output of the start switch) has to go to the solenoid for the starter to be activated. You need to also wire the Yellow Bullet wire from the 10 pin Molex to the SSPB (that is Pin 4). So the Harness Y/G Kill switch wire goes to two places electrically. The solenoid and the SSPB.

To do this connection you can solder the end of the yellow wire to the same place that your Y/G attaches to the solenoid or strip back the wire a little and solder close to the solenoid there.

After the Y/G goes to both then the Engine will crank and the lights will go off.

Jim

Comment

Oh, something else just cropped up. After I turn the key on and the sspb powers on, I turn the key off and the sspb has a faint whine coming out of it and my dash lights are still on but dimmed. It stays that way until I disconnect the w/g wire going to the sspb's white wire. Wierd...
          First clean up the other Y/G wire connection as described in the post above.

Second: Make sure your kill switch connections are correct. Test to make sure:

With IGN Key on and Kill is OFF the G/W is low.
          With IGN Key on and Kill is ON the G/W goes to +12V
          The G/W should be off at all other times (i.e. if IGN is Off).

It only whines if there is a short. It is the Pulsing current on and off when the short exists. The RED led should also flash. The only time it doesn't if when you are shorting the SIGNAL circuit as that is what powers the LED's buzzer.

If you are shorting the Switched on Lines 1 and 6 then everything will go off, because it is this power that turns everything on. No way around that.
          Last edited by posplayr; 03-14-2014, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            The Y/G harness wire (output of the start switch) has to go to the solenoid for the starter to be activated. You need to also wire the Yellow Bullet wire from the 10 pin Molex to the SSPB (that is Pin 4). So the Harness Y/G Kill switch wire goes to two places electrically. The solenoid and the SSPB.

To do this connection you can solder the end of the yellow wire to the same place that your Y/G attaches to the solenoid or strip back the wire a little and solder close to the solenoid there.

After the Y/G goes to both then the Engine will crank and the lights will go off.

Jim
            Ahhh, now I see. That was really making me scratch me head. Thanks.
            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Ahhh, now I see. That was really making me scratch me head. Thanks.
              Thanks for being a Guinea Pig, I'll have to clarify that in the documents. I left things out to avoid bringing in the whole schematic, but perhaps did not make it clear both needed connecting.

Comment

Yeah, that wasn't clear to me when I read through the install instructions. But overall, I thought you did a real fine job Jim. And now, drum roll please....

Success!

And tomorrow we ride!

Thanks again Jim for all the help. All is working properly including the headlight cut. You da man!
                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Success!

And tomorrow we ride!

Thanks again Jim for all the help. All is working properly including the headlight cut. You da man!
                  Glad to hear it.

Now we need to just nudge some of the other slow pokes.
                  Last edited by posplayr; 03-14-2014, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Well, truth be told I have been waiting for warmer weather to get after this. You know how wiring is when it's cold. I'm sure now that we are almost done with this years awful winter, you'll be seeing more installs done. BTW, lights in fact do look brighter. Good stuff!
                    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      ...... Now we need to just nudge some of the other slow pokes.
                      Well, if you'd like to help rebuild a 1775 farmhouse with mortise and tendon timber frame, no nails joinery your welcome to stop by and free up some of my time .

Comment

ha, slowpokes. you try working in an unheated garage when it is 10 degrees out. I did manage to get the old components unhooked and the plate off last night, i need to figure out some mounting options for my 775. same footprint as the shunt one i took off, yet it doesnt want to fit, somehow. might just trim that right hand connector piece and go with spades, but it is a shame to waste the connector i got from eastern beaver. sci85, looks like your reg is mounted on a plate above the battery? any pics of that around? looks simple enough......
                        1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                          ha, slowpokes. you try working in an unheated garage when it is 10 degrees out. I did manage to get the old components unhooked and the plate off last night, i need to figure out some mounting options for my 775. same footprint as the shunt one i took off, yet it doesnt want to fit, somehow. might just trim that right hand connector piece and go with spades, but it is a shame to waste the connector i got from eastern beaver. sci85, looks like your reg is mounted on a plate above the battery? any pics of that around? looks simple enough......
                          I'm sorry, I'm laboring in a 75 degree shop (Tucson) I was shocked to see some people on TV riding motorcycles on a frozen lake. Sorry, MY GF said it was sweltering in Santa Barbara in the 80's.

I'm sure you will figure something out but you can also understand why I suggest doing R/R and SSPB at the same time. Space is cramped and doing one without the other may result in having to undo and move the first again to make room for the second.

You want to keep the SSPB and the R/R relatively close together. Try and to not have to extend the wires that were provided.

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyToys View Post
                            Well, if you'd like to help rebuild a 1775 farmhouse with mortise and tendon timber frame, no nails joinery your welcome to stop by and free up some of my time .
                            Sorry about not helping out, but at the moment I'm in the middle of my own little tech revolution at

But with the work that you are doing, it makes you realize how many skills have been developed and lost over the generations of human existence, even if it is all overwhelmed by the current technological/information revolutions.

Comment

Jim, I agree. These m & t joints are still tight in this post and beam work, and many were recycled from another use. My parents did not have much wealth so since the early 50's there was no major renovations done. It appears in the early 1800's there some rework as the lathe for the plaster shows a change in resawing methods. The analysis shows the plaster is the lime and cattle hair composition along with the local sand. And once the wallpaper is removed they were never painted. This hand builtup plaster is straight and the corners square, better then the current drywall methods. One closed in porch area shows the original posts and interior surface of the white cedar siding is covered with the milk and lime whitewash.

There are something's where you question what were they thinking, but it's made it through all the east coast hurricanes and Nor'easters for a few hundred years and often I find myself sitting back and imagining the work and tools. Which is why I haven't started the bike install I said I would in March.

Comment

Greg78gs750, I don't have any other pics right now but I will take some more when I get back in town later this week. But basically, I removed the stock OEM lid and fashioned a flat metal plate and used the factory mounting tabs then painted it black. I could do this because I'm running aftermarket K&N's and not using the factory air filter so closing the air box was no big deal. The 775 fits perfectly in that location and since I don't run any accessories, having it in the wind stream was unnecessary.

I haven't seen a 750's air box area but if its similar to my 550 , then there really are not many options. One other I did consider and figured I could probably make fit was on the battery frame but it would require more work.

Good luck!
                                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Working...
                                X