No announcement yet.

Solid State Power Box STANDARD INSTALLATION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Jim, wondering if you had a video of the headlight bucket connections? I haven't gotten in there yet, and I am pretty sure i have it figured out, just looking for some confirmation.

Also, I found some space on the mounting plate, I am mounting it inboard of the mounting tabs and gaining the 3/4 inch i needed to squeeze the sh-775 in there, so no relocation necessary!

greg
    1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
      Hey Jim, wondering if you had a video of the headlight bucket connections? I haven't gotten in there yet, and I am pretty sure i have it figured out, just looking for some confirmation.

Also, I found some space on the mounting plate, I am mounting it inboard of the mounting tabs and gaining the 3/4 inch i needed to squeeze the sh-775 in there, so no relocation necessary!

greg
      Greg,
      I plan on that but, have not pulled my bike back apart. With my fairing it is kind of intricate. You might look at this. It is specific to the 82/83 GS1100E, but there are two elements that are in fact applicable to other models.
      1. The wiring of the Kill switch for the Coil relay mod compared to the SSPB Pin 3 wiring.
      2. Reduction in connections in the O/R and O/G circuits loaded at the same place in the harness.

Jim

Comment

Jim, do you expect better transfer of power to the starter after the SSPB install? I noticed that my starter spins a whole lot faster than it ever did before.
        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
          Jim, do you expect better transfer of power to the starter after the SSPB install? I noticed that my starter spins a whole lot faster than it ever did before.
          It is because your headlamp is cutting out and does not have to deliver those 5 amps to the headlamp.

So that is also give quite a bit of extra reserve to get the starter to spin up quick.

For a big motor you are less likely to have that kick back to the starter and that agonizing SWACK under the stator cover that can happen if the battery is a little low.

Comment

ok, so i have been working on the sspb install on my 83 gs 1100 es. Few minor differences here, or, one to be specific. The connector to make the headlight bucket connections is not, in fact, in the 'headlight bucket", since there isn't one on the es, but is rather tucked under the tank. Not entirely sure why the little engineers decided to do this, as there is plenty o' room in the fairing, but there it is. Fine, fine, BUT the wires are a bit squirreled away in there, a bit less accessible. Other than these connections, i think i am pretty much all hooked up, if not finalized. Ended up moving my electrical mounting plate inboard of the tabs, no problem since i am running pods and there are no space issues. I need to grok the connections at the "headlight bucket" area, then figure out how to weasel the harness out of the frame tunnel to get access. Will try to post some pics soon.

greg

Comment

ok, so i have been working on the sspb install on my 83 gs 1100 es. Few minor differences here, or, one to be specific. The connector to make the headlight bucket connections is not, in fact, in the 'headlight bucket", since there isn't one on the es, but is rather tucked under the tank. Not entirely sure why the little engineers decided to do this, as there is plenty o' room in the fairing, but there it is. Fine, fine, BUT the wires are a bit squirreled away in there, a bit less accessible. Other than these connections, i think i am pretty much all hooked up, if not finalized. Ended up moving my electrical mounting plate inboard of the tabs, no problem since i am running pods and there are no space issues. I need to grok the connections at the "headlight bucket" area, then figure out how to weasel the harness out of the frame tunnel to get access. Will try to post some pics soon.

greg
              I did a coil relay mod (quick fix took 4 hours) on a friends ESD. I was kinda shocked at how much different those harness were to the EZ/ED harnesses.
              Glad things are coming along.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                I did a coil relay mod (quick fix took 4 hours) on a friends ESD. I was kinda shocked at how much different those harness were to the EZ/ED harnesses.
                Glad things are coming along.
                time flies when you're having fun !! (and drinking!! )

Comment

Originally posted by ptexotik View Post
                  time flies when you're having fun !! (and drinking!! )
                  Yea especially when pulling on a string (PO mods galore).

Comment

hey, if i am reading this right, can i eliminate that whole connector? interesting.

Comment

hey, if i am reading this right, can i eliminate that whole connector? interesting.
                      Maybe this

Comment

SUCCESS!! got everything buttoned up and fired up last night, fire on all 4, green light on the sspb, awww, yiss. Thanks again jim for your work on this and your patience with my questions!!!

greg

Comment

SUCCESS!! got everything buttoned up and fired up last night, fire on all 4, green light on the sspb, awww, yiss. Thanks again jim for your work on this and your patience with my questions!!!

greg
                          Good job. So headlamps cut out, starter spins faster lights brighter. I also noted higher charging voltages at the battery.

Any words of wisdom about what would have made the install easier?

Comment

more intelligence on my part? it really went pretty easily, made one misconnection that i had to fix, not sure where my brain was on that one. As i said previously, my "headlamp bucket connector" was under the tank, which was a bit of a pain, but that is a suzuki issue. I did the whole "eliminate the entire connector" mod, it might be nice for folks if that info was consolidated into the sspb instructions. Overall, all the difficulties were on my end....really nice product, jim!

greg

Comment

more intelligence on my part? it really went pretty easily, made one misconnection that i had to fix, not sure where my brain was on that one. As i said previously, my "headlamp bucket connector" was under the tank, which was a bit of a pain, but that is a suzuki issue. I did the whole "eliminate the entire connector" mod, it might be nice for folks if that info was consolidated into the sspb instructions. Overall, all the difficulties were on my end....really nice product, jim!

greg
                              Yes , I think the Kill switch mods are probably the most difficult and while there are many similarities there are enough differences to lead to confusion.

I'll update those instructions.

If you has some pictures of the your connector, you could post that would be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                                OK here is a side by side of the 82/83 GS1100ED Kill switch mods with the equivalent on the 82 550M colored schematic.

For clarity (or not) I added the changes to the headlamp circuit as well, because while you are there this will further help the voltage to the headlamp. This is strictly to remove some unnecessary harness connections that Suzuki left it the harness that just creates a place to loose voltage to your headlamp and lights; it has nothing to do with the SSPB except after the SSPB is in, these unnecessary connection can represent one of the biggest voltage drops for the headlamp.

The 550 doesn't have a O/G on the same kill switch connector so I went over to the brake light switch to pick it up.

To summarize there are basically three modifications for the Kill switch

STEP 1.) Separate the Kill switch from it's existing two O/W connections to the harness and connect the two harness side wires together. The best place to do this is the two O/W wires ( on the harness side ) of the connector in the headlamp bucket. Cut the wires off close to the connector then strip them back and twist and solder them together with shrink tubing. They will be carrying the ignition circuit currents.

STEP #2 Power the Kill Switch input from the O/G (O/G is SIGNAL switched power).

STEP #3 Connect the output of the Kill Switch to the G/W to signal the SSPB on Pin 3

I'm doing an install on my 1980 GS 550 L and I had a few questions. One involves this mod. Hopefully someone can offer some insight. I cut the two O/W wires feeding into the green plug inside the headlight. I soldered them together so the loop back to wherever they came from. Next, I followed what Pos suggested and put a jumper wire from the orange hot lead running to the brake light switch to the solid orange wire which is on the back side of that green plug that had its O/W supply wires cut in Step 1. It's Step 3 that I'm confused with. I looked at the color coded diagram as well as the diagram above.

It says to connect the output from the kill switch (O/W) to the G/W wire. The diagram above shows the G/W (and R/W) dead ending at that plug. Aren't those supposed to connect to the stator on one end? The G/W wire goes from the stator connector up to a white plug on the left side of the bike and that runs up to the headlight switch area (not a dead end). Do I splice into that wire? Do I cut it and not care where it heads and simply solder the O/W kill switch output onto it instead?

I also don't know what that line with the headlight mods part means. The three orange dots with the red line across them; what am I supposed to do there?

Let's start with solving that problem and I'll do some more reading on the Molex connections in the meantime.

Comment

Working...
                                X