50 watt LED headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50 watt LED headlight

I have been working on this for a while. I got a 1 x 1 inch 50 watt led module, it takes 32 to 36 volts. Then setup the electronics to turn 12 volts into the higher voltage I need with an adjustable power supply, It is about the size of a zippo lighter, and about twice as thick. Then got a reflector, and lens made to work specifically with the high power LED module, and finally fired it all up. It is intense. One of my neighbors told be it was brighter than a trains headlight. Even though it only consumes 50 watts its output specs out to be 6 times brighter than a regular transnational style headlight bulb. It is all pretty small, it could fit into a housing 1/2 the size of a bear can, it's just freaking evil, it it so bright, LOL. I am going to have to turn down the voltage to it and get it's output under control a bit. The LED module does put out a lot of heat, so I am going to mount it to an old intel pentium heat sink and 12v fan to keep it cool. I will probably cut a billet housing on my lathe out of aluminum. I was thinking about offering some kits if anyone would want to build their own housing. You could probably use a normal headlight housing too, if you are good with fabrication.

The driver can handle over 150 watts, and I did pickup some 100 watt LED modules. After seeing the 50 watt module fired up, I dont even want to see the 100 watt unit right now, i would need some protective eye gear. It's its output has to be unreal.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2013, 06:03 AM.

Nice project, but sounds like a LOT of work, when commercial units are already available.

And they draw considerably less than 50 watts.

The two that we have installed draw 1.6 amps. Multiply that by 14 volts, you have 22.4 watts.

They are not cheap, though.

Any projected price on your kit?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It does sound like a fun project.

Be aware that fine-tuning an LED's brightness is usually done via pulse-width modulation at a high frequency (120+Hz, in general). Trying to tweak the brightness via voltage or current can be done, but gives poor control. Especially if you plan to be able to switch between high beams and low beams.

I would advise looking up the legal requirements for headlight brightness and adjust yours to suit. Last thing you want to do is give cagers another reason to aim for you. (I personally can't stand having to stare at overly-bright headlights on another vehicle as they pass. I tend to give them the same treatment in return.)
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I likey!!!
        Steve, pictures of what you did? And where to get the Commercially available units?
        Tnx
        G
        sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
        2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
        Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
        '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

Originally posted by gmansyz View Post
          I likey!!!
          Steve, pictures of what you did? And where to get the Commercially available units?
          Tnx
          G

Comment

Test post, some pics

Driver modules for the larger LED's and some small 2 Watt LED's I use for signal, and tail lights.

Some parts and a $20 to compare size

Assorted LED headlight goodies

Some 100 Watt LED modules, and a round 12V 2W module I use in signal, tail, and running lights.

Some 50 Watt modules, lenses, reflectors, and one lens retainer.

50 Watt LED module, reflector, and lens in post below
            Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2013, 06:52 AM. Reason: corrections

Comment

Comment

If anyone wants to build their own, let me know I can post the parts in the for sale section, it would be in the $60 range for optical glass lens, 50W LED module, driver module, reflector. I will post some more pics as it comes together.

Comment

Brightness was mentioned, I have only seen brightness limitations is watts for state laws. The laws I dont believe have kept pace with the technology.

Comment

Originally posted by gmansyz View Post
                    I likey!!!
                    Tnx
                    G
                    Either go back up to my post or go down a few lines (I am copying it for your convenience). See the words "not cheap"? They are a link, click on them.

The light in that link is the newer Series 7 light. I have the older Series 6 light, but it's almost as good.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Nice project, but sounds like a LOT of work, when commercial units are already available.

And they draw considerably less than 50 watts.

The two that we have installed draw 1.6 amps. Multiply that by 14 volts, you have 22.4 watts.

Any projected price on your kit?

I know I got some pictures of my son's 650L with the new light, but I don't remember where I hid them.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Texasgs View Post
                      It is intense. One of my neighbors told be it was brighter than a trains headlight. Even though it only consumes 50 watts its output specs out to be 6 times brighter than a regular transnational style headlight bulb. It is all pretty small, it could fit into a housing 1/2 the size of a bear can, it's just freaking evil, it it so bright, LOL. It's its output has to be unreal.
                      It sounds great! Just how BIG is a bear can though?

Comment

I'm guessing he meant BEAN can! Does anyone know how many lumens this rig puts out?
                        Last edited by jknappsax; 12-14-2013, 02:49 PM.
                        1979 GS 1000

Comment

CHEAP compared how much I paid last year for the same one for my custom project bike.. (thanks for the link, I now know where to get another one but man, what a bright light!! It throws light out there better than the 55W HID system I have on the RSV. I'd toss one of these into my RSV touring bike if I could, but it's not a direct fit or easy bodge to make it work.

Its money well spent being able to see that far out at night.. And it punches through fog better than any other headlight I've used on a bike.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                            It does sound like a fun project.

Be aware that fine-tuning an LED's brightness is usually done via pulse-width modulation at a high frequency (120+Hz, in general).
                            Then it would be fairly easy to have a brightness knob, to adjust on the fly. Normal low and high beam, either on the normal brightness setting for riding in traffic, turn it way up for those times when you really need to see. I'm thinking I want this on my dirt bike. When ever I get stuck out at night on it I can't see jack.

Is this stuff rugged enough to take bouncing on rocks constantly and falling down quite often?
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasgs View Post
                              Brightness was mentioned, I have only seen brightness limitations is watts for state laws. The laws I dont believe have kept pace with the technology.
                              That doesn't mean you legally get to do whatever you want, and DOT does certify headlights.
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                              X