50 watt LED headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H4 LED replacement

I'd like to find an LED replacement for an H4 bulb with a similar lumen output to a 55/60 W halogen bulb, from what I have read, 1200 lumen. So far, all the replacements seem to be much lower in output.
    1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
      It sounds great! Just how BIG is a bear can though?
      Bear cans in Texas are what we can whole bears in, 55 gallon drums do pretty good, canned meat good live bears bad, LOL. If you look at the $20 in the pics and read the dimensions in the post it will get you pretty close. It was supposed to be BEER can I must have finger fumbled it.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2013, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
        That doesn't mean you legally get to do whatever you want, and DOT does certify headlights.
        As far as certifications and the DOT, If you were mass producing them, or living next door to MR DOT, it might be a real potential problem. A long time ago an old timer that built custom bikes explained to me a fact that he had learned in his long life building custom bikes and cars. A lot of things are technically illegal done to custom bikes/cars, and even other things in life, like copying a page of a repair manual for a buddy, or downloading copy write material. And a quote from the old timer is “To get into trouble doing things like this most of the time you have to do something pretty stupid.” I have to agree.

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
          I'd like to find an LED replacement for an H4 bulb with a similar lumen output to a 55/60 W halogen bulb, from what I have read, 1200 lumen. So far, all the replacements seem to be much lower in output.
          The H4 LED retrofits are lame agreed. It is hard to put the best LED's into the H4 format. The LED lighting is advancing so fast that I am thinking the H4 format might get ignored for the best bulbs, possibly not, but I havent seen anything bright in the H4 format in LED's it might exist, but I haven't seen it.

To help understand light output study up on Lumens, and candle power, they measure two totally different things and there is no way to convert from one to another. Some light manufacturers use the confusion to sell product.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Is this stuff rugged enough to take bouncing on rocks constantly and falling down quite often?
            The Truck Lite product was originally designed for use in the military HUMVEE, so it was a 24-volt design. They have since done 12-volt lights and gotten them DOT certified.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              The Truck Lite product was originally designed for use in the military HUMVEE, so it was a 24-volt design. They have since done 12-volt lights and gotten them DOT certified.

IIRC, it has always been designed to accept either 12 or 24V. I don't remember how much voltage it takes to damage it.

As far as mechanical durability, they were definitely designed for off-road usage on military vehicles. I had a gen 7 Truck-Light lamp mounted when I low-sided this fall, and it has shown no signs of failure in the several dozen hours of use since. I know some signal lamp replacement LED components haven't stood up to vibration well, but the Truck-Light headlamps are nearly bullet-proof. Nearly, as in, they keep functioning after being shot through.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Seaking View Post
                CHEAP compared how much I paid last year for the same one for my custom project bike.. (thanks for the link, I now know where to get another one but man, what a bright light!! It throws light out there better than the 55W HID system I have on the RSV. I'd toss one of these into my RSV touring bike if I could, but it's not a direct fit or easy bodge to make it work.

Its money well spent being able to see that far out at night.. And it punches through fog better than any other headlight I've used on a bike.
                Down to $157 on Fleabay with free standard US shipping

Comment

I need to do more research to make it all work for my project.
                  Tnx
                  G
                  But I soo want one badly!
                  sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                  2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                  Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                  '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

Or you can sell them for "off-road use only", what someone does with it, it becomes their problem, not yours.(just look at every fog-light wal-mart and cycle gear sell, non-dot....who cares)

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
                      I'm guessing he meant BEAN can!
                      I like to go with the odds, and since much more beer than beans is consumed while tinkering in the garage, I'm going with beer can.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                        I like to go with the odds, and since much more beer than beans is consumed while tinkering in the garage, I'm going with beer can.
                        I was thinking that, too, but BEAR can was much more fun.

You know, it's possible that there might have been a bit of consumption while plinking on the keyboard, too.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Texasgs View Post
                          “To get into trouble doing things like this most of the time you have to do something pretty stupid.” I have to agree.
                          Running lights brighter than a train would fall into that category, in my opinion.

Possibly it would not fall into that category to the officer you blinded while passing the other way.

For what its worth, I tried running 80w / 100w Osram H4 bulbs for a while in the 80s. On my Seca, it smoked the wiring in the harness because it drew more current than the then new Yamaha harness was designed to provide. That was a big surprise. I ran one in my Commando too, but I think I crashed than one off. The low power demand of the LED is pretty nice.
                          Last edited by 850 Combat; 12-16-2013, 05:09 PM.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

beer cans, bear cans.. Do you know how to prevent bear attacks?

To protect against black bears, usually all you need is a bell on your shoe laces to alert them in advance of your presence and they scamper away.

To protect against grizzly bears, you need to protect yourself with a can of pepper spray bear repellant..

To identify which type of bear resides in your area, you can examine their scat content (their poop)..

Black bear scat will usually have berries and little bits of stuff in the them..

Grizzly bear scat will usually have little bells in them and smell like pepper..

Keep the bears out of your garage shop while working on bikes.. Its much safer that way..

Comment

I might have to empty a few beer cans to bear all of this bright light aftermath, speaking of bears, I like my HK91 for bear control, never tried it for beer control, it would probably work, loud, 20 rounds of 308. I did find that spell check turns a finger fumbled beer into a bear, sounds like a magic act. Anyway, I did cut the light housing version 1 rear section, and I am going to mill some fins into it I believe to help cool it. I think if the fins are done right I might bear it without beer. It will run a lot cooler with fins, cooling is an issue with a 50 watt LED. The power converter module wont go into the headlight unit. 50 watts wont OD the factory wiring, I think the stock high beam draws about 65 watts, and the low beam draws 55 watts, or real close. I might wind up with a smaller LED module, I started with 100 watt modules, and realized that was beyond overkill. All that being said, a small slick looking billet light that is powerful is the goal. Thinking about a billet mount for it already.

Comment

Working...
                              X