whats the latest??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats the latest??

What's the latest best known regulator/rectifier for these Gs bikes? Who has them? Part number? Or.... a good used one??

You want the best known one or the best one?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

just a good one...not sure if I want to splurge for the best one. I have a original still on the bike and want to replace it before it decides to give up on me in the middle of the desert. And that could be many many miles from anywhere when I start to riding around!

Comment

Polaris has one on their newer RZR 800 models that is affordable and works a treat. Buy it new from any Polaris dealer. Search this forum for "polaris" and you'll find threads with all the details.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Anyone know anything about these, as being OK, good or superb? or shyte?

Comment

Originally posted by Seaking View Post
            Anyone know anything about these, as being OK, good or superb? or shyte?

http://www.rmstator.com/en/catalog-y...tifier-rm30306
            That is an old-style shunt regulator. Also VERY limited on cooling capacity.

For the same money (or even a bit less), you can get the Polaris unit.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

okay...went online, wound up at ebay, found the polaris unit. it has 2 connector housings that appear to need a plug to hook it up? Still more things to purchase to finalize the R/R install? ( since there are no wires coming off unit )

Comment

Search the forum for info. There is a thread from this morning where someone provided a Triumph part number for a jumper harness that plugs right into that R/R.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  That is an old-style shunt regulator. Also VERY limited on cooling capacity. For the same money (or even a bit less), you can get the Polaris unit. .
                  Thanks for that info! I'm able to acquire their parts for less than listed price is why I was asking but for about the same price, that Polaris unit appears the good choice for my needs! I'll research the forum for which one of the Polaris units is best choice.

How about the same company's offering of Stator? Good bad, ok? this one I should be able to get for around $60-ish.. but no idea if it's a good stator of choice.

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers

Comment

I believe Trevor got a RM stator he's now replacing after 2 years.

Comment

Oh POOH, said Bother.. was hoping they'd have a good track record..

Comment

Stators don't usually fail on their own. They get a lot of help from bad R/R's and harness connections or switches causing high contact resistances.
                        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

For the stator on a 1980+ 850, your best bet is a stator from a later-model GS500. OEM quality and 25 or so years newer.

They're cheap and plentiful on fleaBay, so do a little searching and grab one before you need it.

My GS850's original stator went 102,000 miles and about 28 years. It's currently wearing a stator from a 2001 GS500.

I replaced the original R/R with a Honda R/R from an early '80s CM400 long ago, and it's still working fine. I don't plan to replace it, but if I were to start over, I'd definitely get the Polaris R/R.
                          Last edited by bwringer; 12-20-2013, 01:44 PM.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

but it occurs to me even where flaky connections,R/R's, and batteries past their useful life are blamed....
                            I wish Suzuki had done more to cool stators....

Comment

Working...
                            X