Can someone send me a pic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone send me a pic?

I think I may be missing an alignment plate of some sort that sits behind the advance unit and has some kind of timing mark on it ?

I have the marks on the mech advance (1-4) (2-3) etc but nothin either on the casing or anywhere to line the marks on.

I think I may have misplaced it and not reinstalled it correctly..

Old image but i refer to the marks that should be visible through the hole

If you haven't already come check out the the build thread

Originally posted by simonw View Post
    I think I may be missing an alignment plate of some sort that sits behind the advance unit and has some kind of timing mark on it ?

I have the marks on the mech advance (1-4) (2-3) etc but nothin either on the casing or anywhere to line the marks on.

I think I may have misplaced it and not reinstalled it correctly..

Old image but i refer to the marks that should be visible through the hole

Wow! Looks like she's been kept outside. Sorry to say that. Here's 2 very recent pics of my GS750TZ

Ed
    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 12-22-2013, 11:56 PM.
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
      Wow! Looks like she's been kept outside. Sorry to say that.
      Ha Don't be sorry it was kept outside for a very long time when I first bought it! That pic was taken when I was stripping it down....

A lot of work later it looks quite different.

I should clarify that now I have a Dyna S system installed and am trying to time it properly.

Pic included

Comment

Hi, this is my GS550ET....still original ignition though.....don't know if it'll help at all.

Comment

Great! Thanks for that . It does seem I am missing a plate behind there. as i don't have have that top mark you have..

Anybody with electronic ignition want to chime in? Preferably a Dyna S?

Comment

Again not knowing your exact model. Most parts diagrams I have checked in the past had what is called the timing plate behind the signal generator that had the TDC mark on it but a few models I checked did not have one. So depending on the year and model of your bike it may not have came with one. A lot of the part numbers were the same for that part so even if yours did not come with one I think you could possible retrofit one to fit your bike. If you do plan on fitting one to your unit if it did not come with one I would verify that the timing plate mark is at a true TDC (I have seen them off a few degrees) then possibly slot it, and move it, to the proper position to insure that the mark is accurate and then you can use it and get the cam and ignition timing spot on. Just look at some parts diagrams and find out what your working with I'm sure it will be obvious if your bike had one or not.
            sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

all mechanical advance/electronic ignition big GS's had a sheet metal plate that sit's behind the crank trigger.
              it has a TDC mark on it used to time the engine.

to get things spot on install a degree wheel and use a positive stop for cam and ignition timing.
              Last edited by blowerbike; 12-24-2013, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Here is what the timing plates look like show with a Dyna2000 rotor the Dyna S uses its own rotor with the stock mechanical advancer unit. Like blowerbike said degree wheel and positive stops to get things really right when it comes to timing things up.
                Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 12-24-2013, 01:36 AM.
                sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                  all mechanical advance/electronic ignition big GS's had a sheet metal plate that sit's behind the crank trigger.
                  it has a TDC mark on it used to time the engine.

to get things spot on install a degree wheel and use a positive stop for cam and ignition timing.
                  Thanks guys .. This is infact what i think I will do as my mechanic buddy has all this gear and I don't have the factory plate with marks.

Thanks for all you input. It just confirms where I was heading.

Just couldnt understand why I didnt have any marks! haha

Comment

Originally posted by gs11ezrydr View Post
                    Again not knowing your exact model. .
                    Its the Tracker project bike in my Sig. GS850 '81

Comment

Originally posted by simonw View Post

This is what is behind the plate with the green/red wires on my 1980 GS850G.
                      -Mark
                      Boston, MA
                      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                      sigpic
                      1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Working...
                      X