No announcement yet.

Why "spare spark"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't feel like printing out the online service manual, you can order a fresh dead-tree edition directly from Suzuki for $80: http://www.genuinesuzukimanuals.com/
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Since you do not have a centerstand, you will need to lift the front wheel. The easiest way is to use a jack with a 2x4 across the front of the frame.
      I also prefer a paper copy of the manual. I bought mine off fleabay.
      I answered in your other thread in the General Discussion area how the factory service manual is organized.

Comment

The manuals on that link, eil, only go back to 1985. I've downloaded the Suzuki Service manual from BassCliff, but it seems to be rather limited - only 50 pages.

Also could not find a Clymer for the '82 1100e. I don't believe it exists. And although I'm sure it exists, I could not locate an owners manual. I'm sure an '83 would suffice.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          The manuals on that link, eil, only go back to 1985. I've downloaded the Suzuki Service manual from BassCliff, but it seems to be rather limited - only 50 pages.

Also could not find a Clymer for the '82 1100e. I don't believe it exists. And although I'm sure it exists, I could not locate an owners manual. I'm sure an '83 would suffice.
          Did you download the owners manual or the service manual http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...-SD-ED-ESD.pdf ?There's a BIG difference,about 300+ pages worth.

Comment

Service Manual, SVSooke. The parts that apply to my model ('82 1100e) are about 50 pages.

There is no 1982 GS1100e Owner's Manual to be found on BassCliff or anywhere else. Seems strange.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Service Manual, SVSooke. The parts that apply to my model ('82 1100e) are about 50 pages.

There is no 1982 GS1100e Owner's Manual to be found on BassCliff or anywhere else. Seems strange.
              That is not quite correct. The way the Service Manual works is this:
              1980 - Base Model. All information applies to all 4 years, EXCEPT
              1981 - Delta Model. Any differences between the 1980 and 1981 model are documented here.
              1982 - Delta Model. Any differences between the 1981 model and 1982 model are documented here.
              So everything in the first section applies to your year, except for the differences documented in your section.
              It is a bit confusing to start with, but you get used to it.

You do realize that Owner's Manuals pop up on eBay from time to time, don't you? Legal ones. I purchased one for my 1983 on eBay.

Comment

As the others have said, the "wasted spark" is a byproduct of the simplified ignition system. Two coils and signal generators instead of four, plus triggering off the crank. The reason has nothing to do with emissions.

You can find real Suzuki service manuals for cheap on ebay. As mentioned by Koolaid, make sure you get the proper manual with supplements, not just the base manual and not just the supplement. You need both.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Nope, it's there, you have to select "Vintage" as the product type instead of "Motorcycle". (Don't ask me why...) Here's proof:

Vintage: GS1100E
                  1981 - 1982 Service Manual
                  Parts Number: 99500-39012-03E
                  494+ pages.
                  Print Quality: Standard Scan
                  What koolaid_kid said about the layout of the manual is correct. That 50 page section only covers what's different between your year and the base model. 95% or more of what's in the main section also applies to your specific year and model as well.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, guys.

I have the entire BassCliff service manual downloaded on two computers already; I'll just go back and look at the whole thing instead of just the 1982 1100e section.

And I've seen the supplements to the service manual on eBay.

It's getting confusing - time for another beer.

Comment

Working...
                    X