Starter just goes "Click"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter just goes "Click"

I have a 1980 GS550ET and I've been having some trouble for a little while now. When I try and start the bike, it occasionally makes a single solenoid "click" and nothing else happens. When this happens I usually can put it in gear, rock it back and forth a few times, then it will start just fine.

My question is this: Is this the starter or the bendix gear? I've heard this is a fairly common problem but couldn't seem to find another thread on it. Any help would be great!

Thanks

"Starter or bendix gear"? That's easy. You don't have a "bendix gear".

There is a starter clutch, but it works differently than a bendix.

My guess is a dirty spot on the starter armature, you will have to remove it for inspection. You will have to remove the carbs to get to the starter. Not sure, but you might also have to remove the cam chain tensioner, too. If you have not yet rebuilt the carbs, this is the perfect time to do so. It will also be the perfect time to check valve clearances, except you don't want to rotate the engine with the tensioner removed. One last bonus, in the process of re-installing the chain tensioner, you will have a chance to verify proper cam timing.

Even if your budget is somewhat limited, it would be good peace of mind to get a starter rebuild kit from Stocker Starters. Before you order your starter kit, you will need to remove it to see which one you have. There are at least two kits available, and they are NOT interchangeable.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There is no bendix on these starters. Could be the starter, could be brushes or some connections to the starter.

What maintenance have you done on the electrical system?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks Steve. I've had the bike for about 8 years. Nearly rebuilt the entire thing after a Mazda decided to stop on the freeway on-ramp on my way to work one morning. I redid most of the peripheral electrical connections, rebuilt the starter switch, new headlight, etc. but didn't need to touch the engine at all (except the carbs, which I went through before putting the thing back together). I did switch all the lights (except the taillight) to LEDs.

And yes, to pull the starter, I need to pull the cam chain tensioner. The bike was down for almost 2 years for the rebuild, but it's been going for about 2 years now since (I can't remember if it had this starter problem before the wreck, but it's possible). Needless to say, I've had this starter problem for a while... It just seems like it's been slowly getting worse and I need to do the rocking trick more often. I know a guy locally here that does starters (he's the same guy who the local Suzuki dealer uses; he's good, and cheap!), so when I get around to doing it, I'll give it to him. I just didn't want to pull everything out, pay to rebuild, only to have it be something more mechanical that I could do easier. My bike is really my primary mode of transportation anymore. I ride every day, year round, rain or shine.

Oh, I just went through the carbs again about 3 months ago, sinced them up and put in new intake o-rings and boots.

Comment

Well it sounds like the only thing left is check the connections then if that don,t work pull the starter for a rebuild. Also if ithas been as long as you said owning and riding the bike, it would be to your bikes benifit to adjust the valves :-)
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Short the big terminals on the solenoid to each other on the solenoid and see if that makes it crank when it only clicks otherwise. I suspect that it won't, but its worth a try. If that works, its the solenoid.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Yeah, bridging the solenoid doesn't help, the only thing is putting in gear and rocking it. I think I'll pull the starter this summer sometime and send it out for a rebuild. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
              X