GS450a no electrical power!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450a no electrical power!

hi everyone, ive been lurking around here since i bought my gs450a. i've been trying to search for more info on this vehicle was hoping you guys could help. my bike recently crapped out on me. long story short, it has no power coming in when i switch the ignition on, no lights or anything. i tried switching out the battery with a new one but nothing (maybe not compatible battery?), i tried charging the old battery and hooking it up, now there still nothing. im afraid maybe something fried? im lost peeps! help me! i want to get out riding again! thanks

edit:
    oh also i had a crank, no start situation.

Head to Basscliff's site for wiring diagram maybe this colored one will offer clues

He has others, so go here

You need to follow the path of current from battery to discover what item is causing your problem- might be just a fuse saving you from a disaster.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

thank you for the info, got a DMM and started testing wires, found that the wire with the fuse was frayed and power wasnt going to the ignition switch.

as for the crank no start, i dumped the gas that was in the carbs. filled her up with gas - primed - voila started up again. now to address the issue of her bogging out..lol

thank you again!

Comment

Do your bike a big favor and check out charging system before real fun finds you! do a quickee test and go from there- all these old critters need attention

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by goko701 View Post
          thank you for the info, got a DMM and started testing wires, found that the wire with the fuse was frayed and power wasnt going to the ignition switch.

as for the crank no start, i dumped the gas that was in the carbs. filled her up with gas - primed - voila started up again. now to address the issue of her bogging out..lol

thank you again!
          goko701 and others,

So, I just ran into the same problem today. Rode the GS450A to work this morning after having it sit for over a week. Everything fine, even took the long route. After work, I turned the key, a fraction of a second with light, then NADA. Had to get it towed back home.

The battery is fine. Ground wire is grounded. Fuse is ok. So, my next guess is either a broken connection or the ignition switch.

Is the frayed wire the red one with the fuse? Was it easy to test the continuity to the switch? If so, any advice? Or do I have to start removing some things?

The reason I think it is the switch is because one day the bike had buzzing a clicking noises while off. It stopped after I rotated and juggled the key a few times, but I suspect either the switch or some minor short.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

PS. Already worked on the charging system last year, replacing the old one with a heavier Honda R&R. Battery is less than a year old.

Comment

Originally posted by pmong View Post
            goko701 and others,

So, I just ran into the same problem today. Rode the GS450A to work this morning after having it sit for over a week. Everything fine, even took the long route. After work, I turned the key, a fraction of a second with light, then NADA. Had to get it towed back home.

The battery is fine. Ground wire is grounded. Fuse is ok. So, my next guess is either a broken connection or the ignition switch.

Is the frayed wire the red one with the fuse? Was it easy to test the continuity to the switch? If so, any advice? Or do I have to start removing some things?

The reason I think it is the switch is because one day the bike had buzzing a clicking noises while off. It stopped after I rotated and juggled the key a few times, but I suspect either the switch or some minor short.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

PS. Already worked on the charging system last year, replacing the old one with a heavier Honda R&R. Battery is less than a year old.
            Sounds like a power distribution problem. Consider a SSPB to improve that.

See the All NEW Solid State Power Box and INSTALLATIONS

Comment

Working...
            X