No announcement yet.

Loss of Voltage, Battery on Charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Tom, George, and others. I already pulled my daughter's battery off of the maintainer and will probably use hers until the summer (She's not riding now until then due to her grades, but that's another matter). I remembered seeing a comment about the type of maintainer to use when I bought my first motobatt last year but I foolishly believed they were the same. I'm going to make a better effort to re-read the article and then pick up the correct one before going too much further.

Scott
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The one you have is fine, just don't leave it hooked up.
      Use it like a charger, not like a maintainer.
      A few hours every week or so is fine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Regarding the use of a battery tender in Ohio, I would say not to bother. My AGM has always survived the winter well, and only rarely needs help starting the bike in the spring. Either a jump from a car (not-running, of course) or an evening on the charger in anticipation of a ride was plenty. One of mine has seen some abuse too. The battery presently in my 850 has been in continuous service since 2008 at the latest. It's been dead flat a couple times (in the 1000G at RRR) and overcharged by a non-regulating R/R (getting Brett's 700 ES home from BC (The Year of the Cro-Magnon)). I have no doubt I could take the 850 out for a ride today.

Hang on, that's a good idea.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
        X