Removing starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing starter

I am removing the starter in my 82 GS650E, ive removed the carbs and the starter cover plate. I can see the two bolts that hold the starter down, my question is, Do I have to remove the cam chain adjuster? And, is there anything else I should know going into this?

No, you should be able to get the starter out without removing the cam chain tensioner.

Once removed, you will see an o-ring on the shaft that goes into the access hole. I would replace that o-ring (use an OEM part), as that's a common leak issue. There's a hole at the bottom of the starter cavity (known around here as the mystery hole), that's where oil from the stator case runs down all over your foot when it gets past the starter o-ring...
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

You can get it out by wiggling and twisting it out although it does make it easier if it's off.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks, I was hoping I didnt need to touch that. Good to know about the o-ring as well. Appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
        X