Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter rebuild kit??

Hello,

I am fairly new to this site, been reading forums for awhile, tons of good info. but cannot find a rebuild kit, apparently my starter does not exist .
    The bike is a 79 GS1000L.
    The starter is a Mitsuba SM-229. (has 2 brushes).
    Everywhere I look has it listed as a 4 brush unit from Mitsuba or 2 brush from denso.
    Am I missing something?
    Can I put a 4 brush kit in it?
    Maybe the starter came from a different bike during its travels?

Please help me make sense of this mystery,
    Sheldon

There are tons of different GS starters that will work in that engine, so it's possible that you have a starter from a different model.

It's also very possible that Suzuki just slapped in whatever starter was lying around the factory at the time. Inconsistencies with the parts diagrams are very common -- Suzuki never wasted parts.

You might look at the pics on Stocker's Starters of starters from different GS models to see if any of the brush plates match what you see in your starter.

You might also take another look at your starter, or post photos here -- two of the brushes are attached to the brush plate, and two are attached to the starter, so it would be easy to mistake a 4-brush Mitsuba for a 2-brush type.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

+1 on www.stockers.com

I have had good luck with them on several purchases.
      Good pricing and top quality parts.

Also a good sense of humour: they laughed when I spoke to them to re-order brushes for a GK starter that burned out their brand new brushes less than an hour after installation on the bike.....

It was no fault on their part, the starter clutch did not release and as I drove it away the starter was spinning at VERY high RPMs
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thank you for the info.
        Stockers got it straightened out.
        It is a 2 brush mitsuba
        For an 81 gs 750e
        Last edited by Guest; 01-24-2014, 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

After getting 2 wrong kits...
          I gave up and just cleaned it up and put it back together and felt it seat fully and tightened it down.
          It works perfectly, the alignment marks were off a bit causing it to bind up.

Comment

Working...
          X