Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuse blowing during pre-ignition

Hello GSR members.
    Since my previous thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=211792
    the short has become progessively worse to the point where the main fuse shorts out every time I pull the clutch in to start the engine. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an electrical connection along or near the clutch cable that might be causing this? I haven't puled the tank off yet but I intend to this when the temperature reaches at least -10C or warmer. Freaking freezing here right now. Can anyone offer some suggestions of where to start? Why might the action of pulling the clutch in cause a short? Is there a switch there somewhere that allows for ignition?
    Anyway, any advice would be helpful.
    Many thanks.

There is a Clutch Danger Switch the later GSes. Most of us bypass it anyway. If you bypass it your short will probably be a full time short, which should make it easier to find.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      There is a Clutch Danger Switch the later GSes. Most of us bypass it anyway. If you bypass it your short will probably be a full time short, which should make it easier to find.
      Forgive me but what on earth is a "full time short?" and why would it be easier to find?

Comment

Shorted all the time, instead of only when you pull the lever. Easier to find, because it's always there until you find it.

Got a multimeter and a wiring diagram??
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Try something simple- remove the 10 amp ignition fuse. Now attempt to start (it won't ) but does main fuse still blow when you pull in clutch??
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Shorted all the time, instead of only when you pull the lever. Easier to find, because it's always there until you find it.

Got a multimeter and a wiring diagram??
            Ok, I get it. Yes I have the Claymer manual and multimeter.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Try something simple- remove the 10 amp ignition fuse. Now attempt to start (it won't ) but does main fuse still blow when you pull in clutch??
              Alright, I'll give this a go. Thanks. What happens in either scenario?

Comment

process to locate a short circuit.

use a test light in place of the fuse that is always blowing. this is when you start to inspect the wires on your bike -- I'd start at the starter button - it is positive and will cause a problem when shorted before the solenoid.

When the test light is glowing full blast - like if you use It directly on the battery posts - that is when you are having a short circuit. =bad

if you have no light at all -- that is also BAD and you have not found the problem.=bad

when the test light is very dim - that is what it looks like when the circuit is normal...

This is a tedious process but leave no wire unchecked -- the switch housing pinching wires // where the harness goes into the headlight bucket// where the wires go under the fuel tank around the neck -- etc....

bright - bad -// off - bad // dim GOOD remember this process and be a electrical hero.
                Last edited by trippivot; 01-28-2014, 03:50 PM.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                  use a test light in place of the fuse that is always blowing.....
                  Only works with old style incandescent test lights, doesn't work with the new LED test lights.

Comment

Originally posted by fritalian View Post
                    Fri,

Anything further to report?

Fuse blowing when you pull in the clutch seems strange, because the clutch swtich will not have any power on it untill you also hit the starter button.
                    Maybe pulling in the clutch moves some wire bundle around.

Or... maybe... the fuse is blowing as soon as you turn on the key.
                    If so, try disconnecting the R/R, and see how it goes (you can start and run bike without R/R, just will not be recharging the battery).

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

So It's spring now and I can get to work on the GS without freezing to death. Since the fuse was blowing when I pulled in the clutch cable, I checked it first. The housing looks to be in perfect condition. I've taken the tank off and visually inspected all wiring bundles, looking for fraying or wear of any kind. I've taken off the tie-wraps in case they were wearing through the wiring somewhere and inspected the wires in each of these locations.
                      The magnitude of this task is overwhelming me a little because I have limited experience with anything mechanical, and no experience with the GS.
                      I'm hoping some of the more experienced GSR members can steer me in the most logical direction so that I can isolate the problem. What should I test first and in which order? Redman suggested disconnecting the RR, should I start there? Tom203 mentioned removing the 10A ignition fuse to verify if the main blows when pulling in the clutch.
                      Just hoping for some more feedback so that I can find the source of the problem.
                      Thanks.

Comment

... Redman suggested disconnecting the RR, ......
                        only if the problem is the main fuse blows as soon as turn on the key.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Sounds like your clutch switch isn't the main issue, but mine was nothing but trouble on my '81 550L. Easy bypass, located in headlamp enclosure...

Also, a bad RR on my 1100 was causing a main fuse blow, intermittently. At least I think it was - replaced the RR and fuse blow went away.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                            only if the problem is the main fuse blows as soon as turn on the key.

In the fall, I could turn the key and the electrics remained on. The moment I pulled the clutch lever in... "click!". The main fuse was blown. This happened 3 times in a row. Haven't had a battery in since October.
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2014, 02:31 PM.

Comment

In the fall, I could turn the key and the electrics remained on. The moment I pulled the clutch lever in... "click!". The main fuse was blown. This happened 3 times in a row. Haven't had a battery in since October.
                              Then no need to suspect the R/R.

Nor would I suspect the switch on the clutch(the switch on clutch that is in the starter button - solenoid circuit) , because that is not at all powered until also push the starter button.

I would suspect that when pulling the clutch, that movement of the clutch cable is also moving some wiring harness somewhere. So follow the clutch cable and see what wiring harness is nearby. Try wiggling and the wiring harness and see if that blows fuse.

Comment

Working...
                              X