No announcement yet.

Fuse blowing during pre-ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you mean by upgrade the grounds Mista M?

This looks like a better deal:

Comment

J-P,

okay, making progress.. well, in one area anyway.
      Have disconnected R/R and now bike not blowing Main fuse, so can conclude that the R/R is what was blowing the fuse.
      Although, I was wondering if the mess in the connector itself could have been blowing the main fuse, but doesn't look like the connector body was deformed such that the hot lead might make contact with anything else, so probably not.

You can run the bike without the R/R, just don't go too far before getting back to a battery charger.

Looks like the connector on r/r side and the connector on the bike side are both messed up. You will be replacing the R/R and it will come with its connector. You could replace the connector on the bike side (I do not have the contact info -- har har no pun intended).

Just about any R/R meant for 80s GS will work. About only difference between R/R for different bikes and different years is the connector ... and you may not be using your connector anyway.

If you are just trying to get it back together, you could just use individual connectors for each wire. Earlier you said the wires were stiff (probably from the repeated heating). Has been my experience that if the wires are stiff that the typical crimp on connectors will not be reliable. So my experience has been that wire nuts are more reliable in that case. (but I am the only person that has been saying that.) Maybe you can cut the wire back an inch or so and the wire there may be more ductile.

Maybe you can return a couple packs of the 15 amp fuses for a pack of the little grey wire nuts (or the little blue ones).

THe comments about improving the ground is good advice, but not realy related to this problem of the R/R blowing main fuse and the connector having problems. On most GSes the R/R is mounted on battery box, and the r/r ground wire is grounded on the battery box, but the battery box itself is not well mounted to the frame, and is a ground wire in woring harness that is suppose to better ground the batterybox. But that is not reliable either, so many folks add their own additiona ground wire from the battery box to the bike frame (or batt neg).

And ... some good advice related to anything suspect with R/R:
      Also check the stator.
      Problems with stator can casue problems with R/R. Could replace r/r and 2 days later have same problem again.
      Will need volt-ohm meter for checking that.
      We could discuss it here, but is also in the Stator Papers that can be found back on GSR home page.

Last edited by Redman; 04-13-2014, 03:46 PM.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        J-P,

Problems with stator can casue problems with R/R. Could replace r/r and 2 days later have same problem again.

I was afraid you would say that. Looking for digital multimeter now.
        Thanks Redman.

Comment

Originally posted by fritalian View Post
          What do you mean by upgrade the grounds Mista M?

This looks like a better deal:

http://www.amazon.com/REGULATOR-RECT...A3QEAIM7YYCNN4
          Lovely Bullet connector on the R/R ground.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Lovely Bullet connector on the R/R ground.
            That's the one I ordered. The ground should fit nicely but I hope the opposite matching plastic connector comes with the rig because I destroyed the other one removing it.

While the tank was off I changed the air filter and plugs. Put the tank back on, filled it, and took the bike out for a spin. Runs great. Just waiting for the rr.

Comment

Originally posted by fritalian View Post
              That's the one I ordered. The ground should fit nicely but I hope the opposite matching plastic connector comes with the rig because I destroyed the other one removing it.

Just waiting for the rr.
              Do yourself a favor- send that R/R back to amazon and get a SH-775 series unit. Twice as much money, but like me, you'll probably tire of replacing stators that have been toasted by the regulator (gets annoying and expensive)
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                Do yourself a favor- send that R/R back to amazon and get a SH-775 series unit.
                Wish I would have read this earlier.

Any idea where can I pick one up?

Comment

Any Polaris dealer sells it - just look for the part number 4012941
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Read GS Stator in my signature

Comment

Working...
                    X