need help with my gs700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help with my gs700

Last summer my battery went dead alot had to replace it twice it would loose all the acid.then one day after riding went to start it and blowes main fuse everytime i turn the key no blowes main fuse what do i need?

Read through this and see what you come up with.

Got to put some effort in to get some results.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by suzukibikerider View Post
      Last summer my battery went dead alot had to replace it twice it would loose all the acid.then one day after riding went to start it and blowes main fuse everytime i turn the key no blowes main fuse what do i need?
      You need to pull the tank and side covers, do a visual inspection of the entire wiring harness and get a good digital volt meter and start doing some testing. Look for any bare, loose,corroded or frayed wiring, clean every connection with electric cleaner, replace any burnt connections etc. Check your ground wire from the battery to the engine case. Inspect and CHECK the fuse box and connections. DO A COMPLETE CHARGING SYSTEM test. There is plenty of info and folks in the know on this forum who are willing and can help you. Pics help alot as well.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Hi,

After exploring your "mega-welcome" in your other thread you will find links like this to help get you started:

Regulator/Rectifier Replacement

And check the *Electrical Section* of my little website. Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Your bike is overcharging. It needs what they all need after thirty years, maintenance.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Last summer my battery went dead alot had to replace it twice it would loose all the acid.......
            Just this stuff says you were overcharging (probably bad R/R and/or connections) , so warning signs were present. Does main fuse now blow just having ignition turned "on" or when you press starter button ?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

A boiled dry battery from poor or absent regulation smells very similar to burnt potatoes, if that helps. Since there has been a lot of discussion over the way the RR shunts excess current to the headlight, over the years, and since the headlight comes on when the key is turned on, I would look to the headlight wiring to see if anything is shorting/grounded out.
              Hopefully I'm wrong and the experts will pounce!

And what everyone else said.

Good luck ... nice bike!

S.

Comment

Working...
              X