Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coils mounting advice needed

Hey guys, need some advice on my coils.
    i building something out of a GSX400 (i don't think it falls into a specific "Category").
    i was trigger happy with the cut off disk and removed the coil brackets along with some other brackets i wish i wouldn't (rear brake light switch)
    anyway, the frame is all powder coated and the bike is almost done but i cant figure a good solid way to mount the coils.
    will it be OK to drill into the frame tube in order to attach a bracket instead of spot welding the way the original bracket was attached?
    any other ideas on how to mount the coils?

Thanks
    Eran

drilling a couple of holes in the frame will be fine if that is the easiest way to remount the coils.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

If you need an offset mounting tab, there are one hole straps for rigid electrical conduit that could be sized for your frame tubes, drilled and tapped into the frame leaving the tab with the mounting hole to use as a mount for the coil studs. I couldn't begin to guess what is available in your Country.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I would think that welding it on, if you know someone, would be the easiest route in the long run.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

You can mount them anywhere you can make your wires to reach and drill, weld, whatever.
          Thinking they will need above the ordinary ground if not bolted direct to the frame.
          Or if mounts are not welded direct to frame.
          I would prefer anything else to the weld method unless you have somebody who can and will do a expert job for you.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
            If you need an offset mounting tab, there are one hole straps for rigid electrical conduit that could be sized for your frame tubes, drilled and tapped into the frame leaving the tab with the mounting hole to use as a mount for the coil studs. I couldn't begin to guess what is available in your Country.
            Can you post an image of such a mounting tab?
            EDIT: found it, i got something like this.
            So i can drill it and fix it to the frame?
            Thanks
            Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2014, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Why not just weld tabs on the frame? The coils mount under the gas tank so it won't show and you could touch up the powder coat with some spray paint, for protection to rust.

Comment

If you do some Google searches for coil mounting you'll see a few ways others have used.

For example, if you search for "xs650 coil mounting", you'll find:
                http://www.yamahaxs650.com/installing_the_coil.htm

Comment

You would drill the top of the curve of the strap and the frame wherever you want to mount it. I would tap the frame for threads and use a screw with a thread locking compound to attach it. That way it's only one hole in the frame and it shouldn't mar your new paint job. The straps for rigid conduit are nice and thick and should withstand vibrations. There is also thread couplers for all-thread rod that would make nice drop down studs for the coils. Both the straps and couplers are found in the electrical industry and I imagine available world wide.
                  Last edited by OldVet66; 02-10-2014, 10:10 AM.
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                    You would drill the top of the curve of the strap and the frame wherever you want to mount it. I would tap the frame for threads and use a screw with a thread locking compound to attach it. That way it's only one hole in the frame and it shouldn't mar your new paint job. The straps for rigid conduit are nice and thick and should withstand vibrations. There is also thread couplers for all thread rod that would make nice drop down studs for the coils. Both the straps and couplers are found in the electrical industry and I imagine available world wide.
                    that would be a brilliant solution. get one that fits the same diameter as the frame tube and it would look perfect. As he says, drill and tap the holes. No need to weld and ruin the P/C, plus it would be easily removable if needed
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Plumbing pipe hangars. The ones used to hang pipe from ceilings. Its a clamp-ish type part with a clamp/bolt on one side that does the clamping to the frame (plenty of size diameter to choose). The other side is a raised portion to connect the coil. very easy, all bolt on and attainable at any hardware. Mounting some rubber (they also make an elctrical version with rubber already mounted) under the hangar will stop PC chipping. These things don't budge once mounted. However, the the way the coils sit under the tank (on GS models Ive seen) , the mounting has to be EXACT or else the tank will bump them. There is little room between the stock coil placement and tank. (good) Welding tabs as suggested would be the best solution for this. Hope this helps. Good luck.
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2014, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Do the coils need to be grounded thru their mounting posts?

Comment

Originally posted by eran_k View Post
                          Do the coils need to be grounded thru their mounting posts?
                          No. ......

Comment

I'd go for hose clamps and innertube before I'd ever drill a hole in the frame...any Hole in a tube ,at (my) amateur level weakens it...
                            Ill-fitting bolts do not help.
                            Only place I might consider drilling would be behind the shocks...

Comment

Working...
                            X