Battery light warning light ''on''

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery light warning light ''on''

hi all.. my bike (84 gs 1150) has an aftermarket battery, and looks like what i think is the battery sensor wire, (the one near battery with the plastic peg fitting) is not connected to battery in any way, because there is no place to fit it with the non-stock battery,,,, so would this make the warning light illuminate. Battery is fully charged and showing 26volts. Im not sure if the charging system is working cause ive only just got it. im not sure how to check. any help??

Can you please clarify that voltage reading as I'm not sure how a 12v battery would read 26v?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

After we determine what is wrong with your battery to make it show 24 volts , we can tell you how the light works and how to eliminate it.

First, the sensor is just a probe that goes into one of the middle cells of the battery. When that (one) cell gets low on electrolyte, contact with the probe is broken and the light comes on. The fix is to add fluid to the battery.

There are two ways to turn the light off:
      1. Install a battery with a port for the sensor. Keep in mind that it will be an old-school wet-cell lead-acid battery, and you will be constantly maintaining it.
      2. Keep whatever battery you have or install a good AGM (that is a construction type, not a brand name) battery in there, then connect the sensor wire to one of the switched terminals in the fuse box.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X