Swapping electronic ignition for points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping electronic ignition for points

I might open up a can of worms, but I am thinking about changing my electronic ignition to points.
    To me it would be easier, and less expensive to maintain.
    No igniter will be needed, points can't be that expensive, and I can adjust the timing better with points.
    I'm an old school type of guy, I liked running dual point distributors on my fords better than the electronic setups. Cheaper, and easier to work on.
    Maybe it's just me.

Points are expensive anymore.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Another option would be a Dyna S ignition system.
      That would eliminate the old signal generators & igniter, and replace them with a modern electronic ignition.

Didn't you use a timing light to set the timing on your old Fords?
      You can do the same with a Dyna S.

Comment

Is this really the case? My understanding is that an electronic ignition needs zero maintenance while points need to be periodically cleaned, gapped, replaced, etc. And if you don't already happen to have a points setup ready to be bolted on, then buying the parts to swap over is an additional expense.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by MrFreeze60 View Post
          I might open up a can of worms, but I am thinking about changing my electronic ignition to points.
          To start, I would like to verify that it is safe to assume two things:
          1: you already have an electronic ignition system on the bike
          2: it works.

With the electronic system, the timing is set at the factory and never needs to be re-set, unless something happens (you wipe out the right side of the engine ) and you have to replace the sensors. OK, if you install a big-bore kit and/or change the cams, you might need to make an adjustment to optimize timing for the new parameters.

Please tell me how this is more expensive and harder to do.

Points will take maintenance and occasional replacement. I don't know how often, I am sure it relates to how many miles you ride. As points wear, the timing changes. If you are anal about maintaining your timing, you may have to check/adjust several times during the life of the points, which may amount to a few times a year. As already mentioned, replacement points (and condensors) are not cheap.

Please tell me how this is "easier, and less expensive to maintain".

Let's make things really interesting: I'm not sure that points are available that will fit your engine.

EDIT: I just looked at the parts fiche for a '79 750 (the last year with points) and found that there are two systems, Kokusan and ND. The Kokusan points are about $60 EACH, and the condensors are about $55 EACH. You need two of each item, so you are looking at about $230 for just those parts, not including all the other bits and pieces necessary.

Good news, the ND parts are much more affordable. Points are about $25 each, condensors are about $12 each, for a total of about $75.

Last edited by Steve; 02-20-2014, 01:49 PM.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by MrFreeze60 View Post
            No igniter will be needed, points can't be that expensive, and I can adjust the timing better with points.
            I'm an old school type of guy, I liked running dual point distributors on my fords better than the electronic setups. Cheaper, and easier to work on.
            Maybe it's just me.
            Why? My system on my 750 is 34 years old never have touched it, just keep the electrical connections clean, something that should bone regardless. I would never ever go back to a points system.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman

Before we open it, I don't think you can even buy a can of worms anymore. Sears quit selling them in the 40s. They could be the next big collectable.

Just for you, a can of worms:

PetMountain is the best pet shop for all your pet's needs. We offer high-quality food, toys, treats, and pet supplies at competitive prices. Our pet experts can help you find the right products for your pet. Shop today and see why PetMountain is the best place to find pet products to keep your pet happy and healthy.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Electronic ignition can produce a better spark than you can get from points.
                You might find that your bike runs noticeably better with a new Dyna S ignition system then a points setup.

Perhaps some of the forum members that switched from points to Dyna S can tell us how different the performance is?

Lol, cowboyup3371, that was a good one. Saved the link for future use.

Comment

Working...
                X