Brake lever not activating the brake light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake lever not activating the brake light

Not sure if this qualifies as an electrical problem or as a brake problem...

I've got an 81 400L, and I've noticed when squeezing the front brake lever, the brake light doesn't come on. The first thing I did was take apart the brake handle to see what was what.

As I'm sure all of you know, the assembly has that little plastic peg that slides across two contacts on a circuit board when the lever is squeezed, activating the brake light.

I cleaned the bejeezuz out of the whole assembly with contact cleaner, and checked the connection by holding the plastic peg on the contacts. Success, as the brake light came on. Now I know there isn't a bad wire somewhere, and it is just a matter of reassembling the brake lever properly.

But...

Once I put it all back together, the brake lever still wouldn't activate the brake light. For some reason, squeezing the lever doesn't slide that peg over the contacts correctly.

I tried taking the whole thing apart and readjusting it all, several times, sometimes I can sort of get it to work properly, but by the time I get it all put back together again, it has quit working again.

Anyone have a good fix for this? I'm thinking if getting a switch from Radio Shack and rewiring the brake handle with a whole new switch.

Or could I just find a small square bolt and try that in the lever assembly in place if that flimsy plastic peg?

And info is appreciated!!

Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-21-2014, 06:10 PM.

buy a new OEM brake light switch. they are cheap enough
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Where would one find such a product? eBay?

Comment

your local suzuki dealer would be better. failing that, you will probably pick one up on ebay
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

You could try Alphasports or a similar supplier .
          The switch on my '79 GS1000s fails regularly so I've stopped replacing it .
          I've got to look into buying a switch that's built into a banjo bolt to fix it properly .

Cheers , Simon .
          http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
            You could try Alphasports or a similar supplier .
            The switch on my '79 GS1000s fails regularly so I've stopped replacing it .
            I've got to look into buying a switch that's built into a banjo bolt to fix it properly .

Cheers , Simon .
            The switch in the banjo bolt is the best long term solution.

e.g. http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/banjo-brake-switch
            Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
            1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
            1977 GS400
            1974 Montesa 250
            1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Originally posted by Johno View Post
              The switch in the banjo bolt is the best long term solution.

e.g. http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/banjo-brake-switch

I would recommend a hydraulic brake switch as well.

Comment

How to adjust the switch.............

Look at the brown waffle board and note that one end had a raised round spot..that end goes toward the end of the bars...to the lever side. The two contacts will be up toward the U shaped bridging piece that connects the two wires when the lever is squeezed.

Once its verified everything is installed right, you simply loosen the two screws and use a thin screw driver to slide the brown board toward the end of the bars until the light comes on. Dont squeeze the lever..just slide the board till the light comes on. Now wiggle it back the other way just till the light goes out and snug down the screws. Try the lever and see if it works. You may need to play with it a tad to get it just right.

Little tip here...a dab of grease on the plastic pin the spring goes over will hold the spring and U shaped bridge in place while reassembling. be careful of that spring falling. its a pain to try and find.

Heres new ones that are readily vailable...

Last edited by chuck hahn; 02-21-2014, 08:38 PM.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  How to adjust the switch.............

Look at the brown waffle board and note that one end had a raised round spot..that end goes toward the end of the bars...to the lever side. The two contacts will be up toward the U shaped bridging piece that connects the two wires when the lever is squeezed.

Once its verified everything is installed right, you simply loosen the two screws and use a thin screw driver to slide the brown board toward the end of the bars until the light comes on. Dont squeeze the lever..just slide the board till the light comes on. Now wiggle it back the other way just till the light goes out and snug down the screws. Try the lever and see if it works. You may need to play with it a tad to get it just right.

Little tip here...a dab of grease on the plastic pin the spring goes over will hold the spring and U shaped bridge in place while reassembling. be careful of that spring falling. its a pain to try and find.
                  Thanks Chuck, good call on the grease and making it a point to mention that little spring--it is difficult to find if it pops out!

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

I always loosen the whole master cylinder and slide it as close to the first bend in the bars as possible and turn it up as far as I can to get at the bottom easier. Brake fluid wont spill and you can see what the heck your doing much easier.
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GS450-GS...19994d&vxp=mtr
                      Uh oh. I don't recall there being a spring on that peg at all. I'll bet that's the key to the whole mess, the peg not contacting the board properly because the spring is gone? I wonder if I didn't drop the damn thing when I first took the lever apart and didn't ever see it??

Not much I can do right now, the bike is in storage until the snow melts enough for me to get to work on it again.

In the mean time, I'll start pulling apart every retractable pen I can find in the hopes that one of the springs will fit over that peg securely enough to use!

Comment

I've used this rebuild kit before with great success.

It includes everything anyone would need to repair their brake light switch. For $8.65 delivered it's a pretty good deal.
                        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
                          I would recommend a hydraulic brake switch as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400584422059...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                          +2 on the hydraulic switch. I've installed these on both of my GSs now. I wish I had done it on my E-model decades ago
                          sigpic
                          1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
                          2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Yes...the spring has to hold the U shaped bridge to the two contact rails or it wont make good contact..if at all. I have used the Ebay ones that I linked to and they are quality kits. I took the pin out of one of the plastic things and used some springy rubber to put there to act as a force to make it connect. This can be a temp fix till you get the kit in. Also note that the U thing has little dogs that snap into the black plastic things sides. You may need to gently spread the U thing out so it stays put..but yet can go in and out a tad..follow me???

Comment

Ahh Chuck, you beat me to the ebay link. Funny that we both used the same link since the seller has many for sale.
                              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                              X