Will this work ? fuel sending unit repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this work ? fuel sending unit repair

fuel sending repair so I took it apart, and tried to rewind the bloody thing, man it's tough, and I did it but not sure if it's OK, do I need the wire closer together, or will this suffice...?

It's small and a pain, I can't see, using a magnifying glass, but still somewhat off....

any thoughts if my attempt will work, or start over and get the wire closer together ? I am left with some left over wire....

Is there enough tension to keep the wire in place as the wiper slides by?
    The top two pics look really loose. The bottom pic looks much tighter but the "coil" isn't installed.

And on a final note, are you using the correct guage/metal wire? That all makes a difference in the resistance of the final product.

Comment

Originally posted by four_shot View Post
      Is there enough tension to keep the wire in place as the wiper slides by?
      The top two pics look really loose. The bottom pic looks much tighter but the "coil" isn't installed.

And on a final note, are you using the correct guage/metal wire? That all makes a difference in the resistance of the final product.
      the top two pics are how the part was, it seems to have unwound itself and was preventing the wiper from moving properly.

the bottom pic is of my attempt at winding up the wire as best as I could, used the existing wire, and I actually have some left over, I guess my winding is not as good as factory, but it is tight and should allow the wiper to move properly..

will the unit work as it should since I did not use up all the wire as was there before ?

Thanks

and I have to figure out a way to put it all back together, they had these rivet's holding it, I don't have any that small, I will look at using small screws instead..

Comment

If you have extra wire left over, I think that it wont read all the way to full.

The narrower portion (I believe) is the "emptier" portion of the guage and looks to be still intact. as long as you arent expecting department of weights and measures accuracy, I think it should work.

It will probably be inaccurate untill it gets closer to empty then things should start getting more accurate.

how much wire did you have left over?

Comment

If you have extra wire left over, I think that it wont read all the way to full.

The narrower portion (I believe) is the "emptier" portion of the guage and looks to be still intact. as long as you arent expecting department of weights and measures accuracy, I think it should work.

It will probably be inaccurate untill it gets closer to empty then things should start getting more accurate.

To Gatekeeper:

The wiper/wire is acting like a voltage divider so just snip off any extra as long it is not 1/2 the whole wire length and it will continue to work as expected.

The pickup will read a voltage as a percent of the whole. If you wrap where the wiper can not get to then the whole is out of range and you will be low at the top.

Comment

There is about a foot or so left over...

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            To Gatekeeper:

The wiper/wire is acting like a voltage divider so just snip off any extra as long it is not 1/2 the whole wire length and it will continue to work as expected.

The pickup will read a voltage as a percent of the whole. If you wrap where the wiper can not get to then the whole is out of range and you will be low at the top.
            There is a lot of wire still wrapped on, and left over is about a foot or so.

I can try to wrap it again, but it's not easy, I can't see it properly, need one of those big a$$ magnafying glass things with the light, then it might be easier.

I found on EBay another unit out of the UK, for 30Pound, should I use mine, or get that one, I guess is the bigger question now....

If I am not far off on full and empty on the one I have fixed, and it will give me somewhat of an accurate read, then I will just use mine, get some small screws and put it all back together and hope for the best...

If I am way off, I will get the one from the UK....

any thoughts...

and Thanks for the replies...

Cheers

Comment

Having a foot left over is definately going to affect accuracy to some degree. I'm not sure how big a deviation it will be. I'm still leaning towards the guage no longer reading completely full.

You may not notice a difference, especially seeing as though it was all wadded up and not moving before. Once you get it screwed back together, connect it to the harness before putting the tank back together and test it out. Moving the float up and down should show the proper movements on the guage.

Short story, I think it will be ok. As long as the thing works the way I think it does.

Comment

your right....I will test it out and see how it shows now...I will let you all know...

Does anyone know, how crucial is it to have those windings exact, can they overlap each other, do I have to have the spacing even, or will an overlap and such really mess it up, I could try to wind it again maybe tighter and closer together..

I purchased the bike as is, just one of many things that need to be fixed or replaced...the joys of a rebuild....

I can have the one I found in the UK as a stand by fi this does not work out...

Thanks for the tips guys...

Last edited by Guest; 02-23-2014, 09:59 PM.

Comment

The winding overlap is a short circuit and essentially bypasses the overlapped loop. It will affect the acuraccy of the guage (lol)and possibly cause jerky needle movement in the dash. The windings should not touch each other at all. Tghter loops, even spaceing, as well as using up that extra foot of wire will all help with accuracy.
                  Last edited by four_shot; 02-23-2014, 10:54 PM.

Comment

The winding overlap is a short circuit and essentially bypasses the overlapped loop. It will affect the acuraccy of the guage (lol)and possibly cause jerky needle movement in the dash. The windings should not touch each other at all. Tghter loops, even spaceing, as well as using up that extra foot of wire will all help with accuracy.
                    Great.....

now I have to redo it....LOL

maybe not, I will try it as is and see what I get....or get the good one from the UK...

Comment

I went and looked at the manual and there are two different types of gauges ; one thermal and the other torque balance. In either case the manual specifies a specific resistance range for tank level. And yest shorted winding remove those loops from the swiper.

Testing to see how bad it is would certainly be productive. Check the manual for the procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        I went and looked at the manual and there are two different types of gauges ; one thermal and the other torque balance. In either case the manual specifies a specific resistance range for tank level. And yest shorted winding remove those loops from the swiper.

Testing to see how bad it is would certainly be productive. Check the manual for the procedure.
                        OK.....

I will get on it...as soon as I can...

Thanks for the tips...

Comment

fixed for now....

I fixed the fuel sending unit...YAY

hopefully it will last a while, and I do have to see if it shows correctly, but full and empty it does show, so maybe I am lucky...

Comment

Looks good, If you have full and empty scaled then the few shorted loops should cause little issue compared to the sloshing fuel.

Comment

Thanks....

I held the float around half way mark and it showed half on the gauge as well, so I will assume I will be close.....

I usually don't go below a 1/4 tank anyways, so I should be good....

4 bucks in brass nuts and bolts
                              not having to buy one of off EBay is just priceless....LOL

I just hope it holds up for a while....

Comment

Working...
                              X