main fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

main fuse

Heres my situation Its 81 gs850g I had a headlight fuse blow,i changed it a few days later it did it again, so I chased the wires nd found 3 that had gotten pinched in the neck I repaired the wires and now the main fuse blows when I turn the key on ,is it possible I damaged the r/r or is there something else I could check I went thru all the wires there all good I luv this bike and it has never given me any trouble thanks

A loyal zooki rider.

Well, it's giving you trouble now! If you leave headlight fuse out, and turn ignition on,does main fuse still blow ? let's go from there

This guy has small amounts of info on suzuki's including readable wiring diagrams

EDit; main fuse is 15 amp, others are 10 amp, right???
    Last edited by tom203; 02-23-2014, 04:47 PM. Reason: info
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

yes it still blows it blows like in 5 sec of turning key on

Comment

sorry yes 15mp main nd 10amp for the rest

Comment

disconnect R/R from harness- probably a plug connector- might have to look at those wiring diagrams to find connector. once disconnected, see if main fuse still blows
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

so if it doesn't blow with r/r disconnected it is the r/r

Comment

On my 650, the headlight fuse also feeds the taillight,license light and instrument lighting so there are plenty of places to check if and when you rule out the R/R as culprit.
              1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by suzukirider View Post
                so if it doesn't blow with r/r disconnected it is the r/r
                Pretty common failure, still got the original style R/R ? good news awaits you if you need a new one!
                1981 gs650L

Comment

what does it usually take to blow and r/r ? like I stated it never had any problem im just wondering could a shorted out wire fry one? and yes its still the one that came with the bike
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-23-2014, 05:10 PM.

Comment

The R/R is always connected to battery-it goes thru main fuse to reach battery- its internal diodes block current from flowing incorrectly. If your charging system malfunctions, it can damage the R/R. But 30 yearold suzuki wiring is also suspect.
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

ok can u post a link to a replacement r/r for the gs thanks for your info I guess a cut wire could fry the diode im not md it for 30yrs old it server well lol

Comment

You've had this thing for 30 years?

Honestly, it's wise to test things out and not leap to buying stuff. Did disconnecting R/R keep main fuse from blowing?
                        A failed R/R can damage a stator (that gizmo that actually makes electricity), so it needs to be checked out or you will visit Cape Disappointment.

Charging problems are real common on these critters- head to that link I posted.
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

ive had it for about 10yrs I was gonna save the link after I tested and rechecked everything ive had both covers off and the tank and the only wires that were damaged were the pinched ones I would just like to have the link incase it is it I love this bike ive taught 2 of my sons how to ride using this bike she will never leave me lol thnks again

Comment

I'll offer a clue to a new R/R should you decide to buy one, SH-775; ignore internet fantasies, this is sorta new one and it's inexpensive from a proven maunfacturer.
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

thanks for the info and the clue maybe I can find it lol

Comment

Working...
                              X