gs750 ran then wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs750 ran then wont start

So heres the dilemma I Picked up a nonrunning 1982 gs750 around Christmas time. The bike came with a 4 to 1 drag pipe and header and no airbox so I picked up some cheap chinabay pods for it. Got it to run but leaked fuel out the carbs very badly so cleaned carbs and installed 125 mains as well. As of a couple days ago ran but broke up a lil over 6500rpm. yesterday ran as it only had 2 and half cylinders and now today wont start at all. sounds like its not even trying at all. have spark out of every spark plug wire and valves were adjusted as well. Im just at a loss with this bike. She has really grown on me but its just getting to be more and more like a VDUB which I have also owned as well ugh.. I am almost positive the ignitor box is bad but then I figured I wouldn't have spark either. any and all help will be greatly appreciated

Look at wiring diagram. make sure plug wires go to correct plugs. If you got spark and fuel it should at least start.look at plugs for signs of fuel after cranking. With cheap pods, open exhaust, it will run poorly according to everything that I've read on here, but it will still start. (If carb passages are not gunked up)
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by superbink133 View Post
      Got it to run but leaked fuel out the carbs very badly so cleaned carbs and installed 125 mains as well.
      What exactly did you do to clean the carbs?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What exactly did you do to clean the carbs?
        There it is again, the $100,000 question.

I think you are thinking the same thing I'm thinking as the symptoms point in that direction don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by superbink133 View Post
          I am almost positive the ignitor box is bad but then I figured I wouldn't have spark either.
          If it has sparks, the ignitor is igniting.

Clean and adjust the carburetors properly.

Do all of the other neglected maintenance, adjust the valves, take no short cuts. Your new bike is thirty years old, it needs some work.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Let''s start with this....

Greetings and Salutations,

Every once in a while I will miss a new member or two and they may not receive their proper greeting. If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
            Help! Your Bike Won't Start
            DON'T DO THESE THINGS
            Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
            Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            and near the bottom you will find a few good links...

actually you will find a lot of good info in the entire post.....

Comment

Working...
            X