Disconnecting clutch sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disconnecting clutch sensor

Hey all, I'm coming along with my re-assembly of a 1980 GS1000 project, and now that I've gotten it running I've a very odd roadblock. That is, it seems that I need three hands to start the bike!

The choke knob works just fine, but is spring loaded and does not remain up. I need three hands to simultaneously pull the clutch lever, pull the choke, and hit the starter button. The best work around I've seen (from the GSR forumn archive) is: left hand clutch, right hand choke, and right elbow starter button. During tuning I've been zip-tying the clutch lever, but I'm thinking that there's a better way.

Is there either A) a locking mechanism for the choke (either a part, or a rigging method)? Or B) way to electrically remove the need to engage the clutch lever when starting?

There are two wires that run from the clutch safety switch into the headlight bucket. (yellow with green stripe IIRC) Connect them to each other in the headlight bucket and get rid of that nuisance.
    As for your choke cable, it should be coming up through the steering stem and under the rubber boot on top there is a knurled lock ring that can be tightened slightly that will increase the friction on the cable and hold it in position. Be careful as they tend to strip if you snug it too much.
    The headlight bucket that you referenced in your other post is at a great price if you don't already have one that nice. Someone on this site should have the missing parts if you place a wanted ad in that section of this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
      There are two wires that run from the clutch safety switch into the headlight bucket. (yellow with green stripe IIRC) Connect them to each other in the headlight bucket and get rid of that nuisance.
      Suzuki knew most everyone would be doing this, they even made it so one connector in the headlight is male and the other is female, just plug them together and it is done. Plug and play.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Have you tried twisting your "choke" knob?

On a properly-working unit, you can pull up the knob, twist it a bit to the right, and it will stay in place.

If yours doesn't do that, it might be time for a new cable.

And take the two minutes (literally) to open up the headlight bucket and re-connect the wires that go to the clutch "safety" switch.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey thanks, I figured it would be something simple, just couldn't decipher what it was using the wiring diagram. As for the choke cable itself, I remember trying the twisting method, and it didn't work, so I guess a new cable may be in my future!

This bike does seem to be a 'bitsa' bike: a bitsa this, a bitsa that. It may even be an incorrect choke cable system (don't know if that's even possible, tho, haha).

Also, shout out to that response on the headlight bucket. Mine, like [most pieces] of the bike I currently have, is nearly new (6k miles), so spread the news on a nice part, and I'll do the same.

Comment

Working...
          X