Finding a GS1000 headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding a GS1000 headlight

The project GS1000 I picked up from a guy did not come with a headlight/headlight rim, only came with a headlight bucket. Well, he gave me a headlight, but it was for another bike, and he does not currently have the correct headlight.

The bucket on the bike is stock as far as I can tell. It has a three-bolt headlight mounting scheme (one at 12 o'clock, and two at 3 and 8 o'clock), two ports at 3 and 9 o'clock for the bucket mounting bolts, and a large rear port for electrical wiring.

Here's a fleaBay ad for a similar model.

I'm having a very hard time locating the correct headlight/rim combo to purchase. I'm wondering if these things are standardized across bike brands. For example, could I purchase a Honda 3-bolt mounting 7" headlight? Or rather, does anyone have an extra that I could purchase from them?
    Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2014, 11:29 PM.

You need one from a Suzuki. Don't put a stock light in, put in a H4, they're cheap and WAY better. You can probably do a quick check on Babbits and their parts search engine will tell you which models will fit your bike. That ebay link shows the correct bucket just make sure it's a 7" not a 6".
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

The mount and trim ring need to be Suzuki.

As azr mentioned, though, do not get a stock sealed-beam light. You can get a motorcycle-specific light (like a stock one) or you can get one that actually puts some good light on the road.

HERE is a Hella light for less than $40. I believe it includes a bulb.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks, Steve! I also have to admit I've always wanted a rally-light Hella set-up on my Subaru. This may have to suffice in the meantime.

Two concerns I have about upgraded lighting:
        1) My other bike is a '75 Honda CB550, and that thing could not hold a charge for the life of it. Wanted to switch out the crappy bulb, but could not as the alternator was lifeless at best. Just checking to see that it's no concern for the GS1000. Now that I've typed the numbers (1000 vs. 550) I know it's going to work out A-OK.
        2) I'm worried that buying just the lamp will lead me down another goose chase where I'm trying to find the correct connecting pieces (rim+mounting bolts, bucket mounting bolts, etc.); been running into that with the scattered variety of GS1000 interlocking part types that just don't quite fit right when put together. Right now I only have a bucket with the aforementioned 3-bolt lamp mounting pattern. What peripherals would I need to purchase to fit this halogen lamp correctly?

Thanks!!
        Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2014, 04:57 AM.

Comment

I run the later model naked SV headlight in the original housing, far better lighting
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by FLATout? View Post
            1) My other bike is a '75 Honda CB550, and that thing could not hold a charge for the life of it. Wanted to switch out the crappy bulb, but could not as the alternator was lifeless at best.
            H4 halogen bulbs are available in 35/35W & 45/45W. One of those might work for you.

Comment

If you maintain the electrical system you can run any headlight you want.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                I run the later model naked SV headlight in the original housing, far better lighting
                This fit's right in? Sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  If you maintain the electrical system you can run any headlight you want.
                  I run 80/100W H-4 bulbs in several of my GS's. MUCH safer than running the stock type candle in there.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                    I run 80/100W H-4 bulbs in several of my GS's. MUCH safer than running the stock type candle in there.
                    But is that legal?

Comment

Safe trumps legal, every time.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Safe trumps legal, every time.
                        Until a trial lawyer starts using words like "willful negligence".

Comment

OK, so I'm definitely going to pick up a H4 lamp (to be safe), and I'm honestly really excited. I've never had decent lighting on a motorbike. Does this mean I could *gulp* actually ride at night??

HOWEVER, if I only have a 7" headlight bucket, what sort of mounting pieces do I need to pick up to interface the new light with the bucket?

Comment

Originally posted by FLATout? View Post
                            OK, so I'm definitely going to pick up a H4 lamp (to be safe), and I'm honestly really excited. I've never had decent lighting on a motorbike. Does this mean I could *gulp* actually ride at night??

HOWEVER, if I only have a 7" headlight bucket, what sort of mounting pieces do I need to pick up to interface the new light with the bucket?
                            Which year & version GS1000 do you have?

Comment

I have a 1980 GS1000. Not sure if E/EC/C. Has a 7" headlight bucket that is the same as the one is this fleaBay ad.

Are the headlight-to-rim mounts standardized? Also are the 3-bolt pattern rim-to-bucket mounts standardized?

Comment

Working...
                              X