Stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator?

I keep reading about stator and charging system problems on the old GS's. Mine has performed without problems since I brought her home five months ago.

When I finally got to my battery (not an easy thing on an 1100EZ), I found no vent tube and a few low levels. I corrected both situations and bought (and used) a trickle charger, even though the bike has shown no signs of needing one.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to read more than a few posts telling me to upgrade or replace the regulator or rectifier or stator. Not at this point. It ain't broke.

But I would like to understand more. I'll tell you what I know (believe) now, and then I'd like to be corrected, possibly told what the first symptoms of problems might be from this system that I keep reading has been poorly designed.

The stator is stationary, inside the right (or left?) engine cover. Something spins inside it, creating (A/C) juice. The rectifier changes it to direct current, the regulator limits the (voltage?) from getting too high before sending it to the battery.

Without getting too technical, is that correct?

Are the rectifier and regulator housed in one unit? Is that the part that fails, that was poorly designed?

Are the symptoms of it failing simply a dead or weak battery?

The battery sends power to the coils, which create the spark for the plugs?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    The stator is stationary, inside the right (or left?) engine cover. Something spins inside it, creating (A/C) juice. The rectifier changes it to direct current, the regulator limits the (voltage?) from getting too high before sending it to the battery.

Without getting too technical, is that correct?
    Yes.

Are the rectifier and regulator housed in one unit?
    Yes.

Is that the part that fails, that was poorly designed?
    Sometimes. It is not always the failure point. It was well-designed, but poorly executed. There are many upgrades available.

Are the symptoms of it failing simply a dead or weak battery?
    That is usually the one that gets your attention. Sometimes by not starting when you want to go for a ride, but also happens on a long ride, by dimming the headlight (possibly losing it altogether) or killing the engine. Hopefully, those will not happen in the middle of a dark curve.

The battery sends power to the coils, which create the spark for the plugs?
    Yes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Don't remember which bike you have. The early ones had a separate rectifier and regulator. After '79 or '80 they were all one unit.

Originally posted by Steve View Post

It was well-designed, but poorly executed. There are many upgrades available.
      Poorly executed as in it can't take a lot of corrosion in the wiring and connectors. Other than that it's fine. Corrosion makes resistance, makes heat in the connectors, they melt, the wires inside short together, then all Hell breaks loose. Result is usually a fried stator and RR, and bike parked for a decade or so.

I'm still waiting for my first GS electrical failure. Something like 200,000 - 250,000 miles on something like 50 GSes.

I have bought a few dead bikes with dead charging systems, on each the connections were corroded, bad wires, just a neglected mess. Bought several with charging issures, but they were all easy to fix. Every GS I get I go through the entire system, clean every connector, clean up the grounds, add the extra one from the RR, then test everything. Of those that have passed the tests none have ever failed. Ever.

That said, I'm thinking of going with the new series style regulator on my new 550. Why push my luck?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys

I'll do some reading, ponder and then ask more.

1982 1100e
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Don't remember which bike you have. The early ones had a separate rectifier and regulator. After '79 or '80 they were all one unit.

Poorly executed as in it can't take a lot of corrosion in the wiring and connectors. Other than that it's fine. Corrosion makes resistance, makes heat in the connectors, they melt, the wires inside short together, then all Hell breaks loose. Result is usually a fried stator and RR, and bike parked for a decade or so.

I'm still waiting for my first GS electrical failure. Something like 200,000 - 250,000 miles on something like 50 GSes.

I have bought a few dead bikes with dead charging systems, on each the connections were corroded, bad wires, just a neglected mess. Bought several with charging issures, but they were all easy to fix. Every GS I get I go through the entire system, clean every connector, clean up the grounds, add the extra one from the RR, then test everything. Of those that have passed the tests none have ever failed. Ever.

That said, I'm thinking of going with the new series style regulator on my new 550. Why push my luck?
          How many 1100/1150's have been in that pack and how many mikes?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            How many 1100/1150's have been in that pack and how many mikes?
            No 1150s, two 1100Es, 3 or 4 1100Gs and GKs. None of the bikes were named Mike.

Are some models worse than others? I thought they were pretty much all the same other than 12 - 18 pole stators, the headlight switch loop, the fuses and the separate regulators and rectifiers?

Comment

Posplayr, I'm interested to hear your take on the matter because I know you started with the same model I have, just one year newer. I know you've substantially modified yours, and I'm jealous. But..

I just saw a pic of yours lying in a road-side ditch with some state police types standing over it. What happened?

If you could read my original post, I'm interested in your knowledge and opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                No 1150s, two 1100Es, 3 or 4 1100Gs and GKs. None of the bikes were named Mike.

Are some models worse than others? I thought they were pretty much all the same other than 12 - 18 pole stators, the headlight switch loop, the fuses and the separate regulators and rectifiers?
                It is about heat, the bigger bikes get bigger temperature drops from the Series R/R and the stators in those bikes are more linkly to burn.

I tuned a stator brown in 250 miles with a MOSFET shunt R/R. I don't know much about the 8 V engines, maybe they don't get as hot as the 16V bikes.

Comment

I know they are a lot cooler around the head, they have more room for airflow to the cooling fins there. Don't know if the oil runs any cooler, but I bet maybe it does.

Comment

Posplayr, I'm interested to hear your take on the matter because I know you started with the same model I have, just one year newer. I know you've substantially modified yours, and I'm jealous. But..

I just saw a pic of yours lying in a road-side ditch with some state police types standing over it. What happened?

If you could read my original post, I'm interested in your knowledge and opinions.
                    The bike is back together for a couple of more years now; it is now has a red paint job instead of the orange. There was a thread but it must have been under Discussion which gets wiped out. A picture of the tire marks is attached. Forestry (SUV) truck just filled up the road on this little blind curve. I did what I could to avoid going into his windshield.

He did not stop till I had passed him riding on three points

Actually that was Dec 4, 2010 so it has been over three years.

There are plenty of explanation, discussion and data on R/R and electrical in the links in my signature.

If you have an 1100E I would definitely just bite that little bullet and get the SH-775.
                    Last edited by posplayr; 03-04-2014, 12:55 AM.

Comment

I remember the thread well. Most unfortunate.
                      Rob S., just get the series R/R.

Comment

Just went to the roadstercycle site, looks do-able, but I'd like to understand better.

You guys call the replacement units (SH775) series. Does that mean the original one in my 1100EZ is parallel?

What is series? Rectifier, regulator, both or the relation between the two?

As you can tell, I didn't pay much attention in shop class. Hell, it was almost half a century ago! I think I built a tube tester.

Comment

Just went to the roadstercycle site, looks do-able, but I'd like to understand better.

You guys call the replacement units (SH775) series. Does that mean the original one in my 1100EZ is parallel?

What is series? Rectifier, regulator, both or the relation between the two?

As you can tell, I didn't pay much attention in shop class. Hell, it was almost half a century ago! I think I built a tube tester.
                          I'm a little behind, I took shop class in 73. here are three links below, but the HTML is not separating them.

Last edited by posplayr; 03-04-2014, 03:38 PM.

Comment

After you're done reading that, head to wiki and look for linear regulator

"Linear regulators may place the regulating device between the source and the regulated load ( a series regulator), or may place the regulating device in parallel with the load (shunt regulator). "

Just get a series R/R and improve your odds- these bikes don't seem to run well with a failed charging system
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                              After you're done reading that, head to wiki and look for linear regulator

"Linear regulators may place the regulating device between the source and the regulated load ( a series regulator), or may place the regulating device in parallel with the load (shunt regulator). "

Just get a series R/R and improve your odds- these bikes don't seem to run well with a failed charging system
                              I don't remember where but I described and compared traditional Linear/Shunt regulation and Series PWM (chopper) regulation with the PM SHUNT regulators and PM Series regulators. They are not all the same thing and reading Wiki would lead to confusion if you did not already know what all these things are or already know they are not what is on a motorcycle.

Comment

Working...
                              X