Stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linear vs switching regulators

I started with Wiki, makes sense so far.

A linear can only lower voltage, correct? Can I assume then that a switching regulator can lower and raise voltage?

If the above is true, then at idle or low rpms is the voltage still so high that the R/R has to lower it? Stock 1100EZ is linear? Is the voltage ever so low that the linear just passes it through to the battery?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      I started with Wiki, makes sense so far.

A linear can only lower voltage, correct? Can I assume then that a switching regulator can lower and raise voltage?

If the above is true, then at idle or low rpms is the voltage still so high that the R/R has to lower it? Stock 1100EZ is linear? Is the voltage ever so low that the linear just passes it through to the battery?
      As I posted above, Wiki will get you confused in that it doesn't apply. The SERIES R/R has no energy storage element and can not step up as some switchers can.

Read this.....

Comment

Got one. used that price list, called the local motorcycle - ATV - Snowmobile - gun shop and they matched the best price, even lowered it more so the sales tax made it even.
        Should be there in a couple days.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
        X