88 gs450 timing??? please help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88 gs450 timing??? please help!!!

So I have thought all this time that my bike is an 86, turns out from the engine number its an 88 gs450j. I need to set the timing. And I'm at a loss. Please help. This is the crank setup

Those are pulse coils from an electronic ignition. Timing is built into the igniter.

Comment

So where do I set the crank and the cams so it will spin over all the way?

Comment

If you have not disturbed the cams and timing chain you should not have to do anything.

If you need to roll the engine do so with a a wrench on the rotor with the spark plugs removed. Only clockwise never counter clockwise.

Comment

I replaced the cams and chain. And now.I'm stuckand for curiosities sake, why never counter clockwise?

Comment

move nothing
            refer to the manual http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...ete_Manual.PDF

I hope you have not forced the thing with the starter motor.

Comment

I haven't, just by hand. Thank you for the help

Comment

Originally posted by 86gs450 View Post
                I replaced the cams and chain. And now.I'm stuckand for curiosities sake, why never counter clockwise?
                I think it can bind up the chain tensioner or something like that.
                It says not to in the manual I am pretty sure.

Comment

No go.on that adjustment. The left side cyliner exhaust valve is interfering.

Comment

It would seem that you have your cams in wrong.
                    I do not know how detailed that manual is but you should be able to re-orient the cams using the notches in the ends and the timing mark on the rotor.

Some of you 450 guys want to quit arguing with JAG long enough to help this guy out???

Comment

The exhaust cam has the #1 on it which I've been lining up with the head surface, then there's a #2 on it which is where I start counting pins back to the intake valve which has the #3 on it. According to what I've looked up previously, you line up the crank on the right cyliner tdc, set the exhaust cam and then count 18 pins from #2-#3. Then the notches line up both pointing inward, but when I do that the intake valves interfere. And that manual you posted said 20 pins, still interfering. I know before I replaced cams and chain it spun over great with no interference. Stupid me should have took notes or pictures to put it back into time.

Comment

Sorry for the discrepancy in the pdf manual and the one you used.
                        I only know how to do this on my bike and although the process should be the same I advise you to wait till a 450 guru shows up.
                        I think most people are eating, commuting or watching TV or slagging each other in the Off Topic forum.

Comment

Ya I'm done for now. No point in continuing putting it together and taking it apart. I'll just wait. Thank you for all your help

Comment

Working...
                          X