GS300 - no spark on left side -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS300 - no spark on left side -

OK, here's a weird one. I just bought an '82 GS300 last night, has no spark on left cylinder. Well, intermittantly it does have spark, but not very often. Coils have been ohmed, swapped,and replaced with other used coils. No difference. Pick-up coil was replaced, also no difference.
    I'm thinking CDI is bad and there's only one on eBay and it's $300. So, was wondering if anyone had a solution. Is there some other CDI box I can use to make this work? Or should I be calling Dyna or someone like that?

HELP !!

"....just....last night" ? now is the time to clean up all your ignition connections before guessing and ebay leaping.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Not 100% sure about the 300, but none of the other GSes use CDI.
      Find the troubleshooting procedure for your bike in the Suzuki Service Manual and do the tests correctly. No point in guessing.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Go through all of the the troubleshooting first, because there are no interchangeable replacements for the 300s. Replacing the CDI should be last resort.

I read a thread somewhere about someone using the existing magnetic pick-ups with GM HEI ignition modules and made it work.

Comment

Originally posted by kymasabe View Post
          . Coils have been ohmed, swapped,and replaced with other used coils. No difference. Pick-up coil was replaced, also no difference....
          I suppose you also tried swapping the plugs.

When you swapped coils, did that include the caps?

The caps can go bad.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yes, has new plugs. Coils already have caps on them. Good coil on one side won't work on left side. No power to left coil. Shop manual says:
            1. replace plugs.
            2. replace coils.
            3 replace ignitor. Which is the CDI box or whatever you wanna call it.

Comment

Yes, has new plugs. Coils already have caps on them. Good coil on one side won't work on left side. No power to left coil. . .
              No power TO the left coil ?

Is suppose to be the same circuit TO both coils, the Org/Wht circuit from the Ignition fuse goes to both coils. Same wire jumpered from one coil to the other coil.

(and each coil has a separate wire to the ignitor).

I think 300 is pretty much same as 400.
              THis schematic from BassCliff site

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

crap. this is why I shouldn't do diagnostics at 3:00am. Will recheck tomorrow (Sunday) morning and report.

Comment

Ugh, so confused. I don't have a GS300 manual so am using the GS250/300 manual here without the GS300 supplement.
                  So, I DO have power to the coils, orange wires. But, I don't th ink I'm getting a pulse from the CDI. But the test procedure in the manual isn't working for me, I can't manually spark the coils. Some of the wire colors aren't matching what the manual says and on and on. Wasted my whole weekend working on the thing and I'm no further ahead than when I started, just more confused.

I'm thinking of ripping this motor out and dropping in my simple, running GN400 single cylinder motor (yes, it'll take a bit-o-fabrication. No worries). I'm so fed up with this thing. I wish there was a decent shop somewhere near here that could work on these. Unfortunately, the only shop I trust is about 2 hours away. So....

Comment

I'm ready to drag this old GS out to some remote pasture and put a bullet in it. Now, after all my fiddling and checking this and that, I have spark on both sides again. Which, the previous owner told me would happen and that it doesn't last long. Satans GS300. It's possessed.

Comment

Ugh, so confused. I don't have a GS300 manual so am using the GS250/300 manual here without the GS300 supplement.
                      Is a manual on Bass Cliff site (he has collected many that folks have sent him).

Is 91 Meg. for 250 & 300L

I wish there was a decent shop somewhere near here that could work on these. Unfortunately, the only shop I trust is about 2 hours away. So....
                      Naw, don't do that.
                      Will cost way too much (if they will work on it, most will not).

Comment

SUCCESS - see my new post

Got killer spark using two GM ignition modules. See my new post.

Comment

Working...
                        X