Turn signals just stay on, no blink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals just stay on, no blink

I've tried searching under several threads but have not found this particular issue. When i turn the signals on, they just come on and stay solid. No blinking at all. Do I need to replace a relay? If so where would it be located. Thanks.

And this bike is...? stock signals, not LED's ?? the stock flasher needs to see the correct bulbs (wattage) or no flash!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sorry for some reason i thought I had a sig with that on here...

1983 GS1100E with stock everything so far as I know.

Comment

I'm also having a charging issue with the bike so maybe just not enough juice? It's heading back to the shop on the next warm day

Comment

Maybe low voltage..charge the battery fully and try. Second is a mix match of bulbs. Third is a poor connection with the back plate thing in the socket. I have had to take the signal apart and give the wire some slack so the center electrode thing would actually touch the bulb. Try pressing in on all the bulbs to see if they make better contact and start blinking.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by BTWilliam04 View Post
            It's heading back to the shop on the next warm day
            The best shop would be your garage.

Maybe next-best would be my garage.

Send me some contact info, maybe we can arrange a personal visit.

If your bike can not make it here, I can probably come down there.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Check your grounds as well for each turn signal and any others throughout the bike.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I've tried searching under several threads but have not found this particular issue. When i turn the signals on, they just come on and stay solid. No blinking at all. Do I need to replace a relay? If so where would it be located. Thanks.
                Steve can fix it up for you.

Or if you want to work on it further.:

When you say "they come on", by "they" do you mean both front and back?

If one of the front or back is burnt out (or bad wiring) the other on that side will come on but not flash (assuming stock flasher, and correct bulbs).

If both front and back come on but do not flash, that indicates (no pun intended) too low of current to operate the flasher. This could be because:

- too low wattage of bulbs. Turnsignal bulbs should be about 23 watts each, if someone put in LED bulbs those are much les wattage.

or

- charging system / battery at too low a voltage for the bulbs to draw enough current to operate the flasher. Try reving the engine. Check battery voltage at about 4 thou rpm, should be mid 13s, but flasher not operate if really low like 10 or 11 volts when the next thing to happen is you will have dead bike on side of road.

If signals used to flash, but now they don't .... may not be a turnsignal problem, but a charging problem ... so check that before you get stranded somewhere.

Last edited by Redman; 03-22-2014, 09:14 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

When I move the switch over, both front and back come on but do not flash. Same for both sides. I guess there's just not enough voltage. They put a brand new battery in and it did the same thing. Rode today for 45 minutes. Stopped at a friend's. When I came back out the battery was dead. Frustrating because when the bike is going its a blast. Just put some new tires on it and its like a whole new bike.

Comment

Check your grounds before you replace the battery. Take advantage of Steve's offer and come up north for some assistance.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

When I move the switch over, both front and back come on but do not flash. Same for both sides. ...
                      Okay.
                      So like was said,
                      either low wattage bulbs,
                      or,
                      charging not working, causing too low of battery voltage ... and bike about to die.

...They put a brand new battery in and it did the same thing. Rode today for 45 minutes. Stopped at a friend's. When I came back out the battery was dead. Frustrating because when the bike is going its a blast. Just put some new tires on it and its like a whole new bike.
                      Two comments:

- IS an electrical problem. No where in anything you have said did you say anything about any voltage readings here or there. You need a volt meter to troubleshoot electrical problem. Can not really troubleshoot and fix an electrical problem with your eyeballs.

- SOunds like charging system not functioning. Need voltmeter (mutimeter) to check things out better. Find the Stator Papers on GSR main page.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

assuming you have a complete circuit --- you need more resistance to make the relay flash. what ever the relay has printed on it. like 24 watts total or more

try this, put 1 more bulb in one of the flasher circuits just as a test. instead of 2 bulbs front and rear (not)flashing make it 3 with a test light -- see what happens. if you have small watt after market signal bulbs they do not pull enough to make the flasher flash.

some times flasher that does not flash WILL flash if you revv up the bike but htat is a false diagnosis if you think it is lack of voltage.
                        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

They put a brand new battery in and it did the same thing. Rode today for 45 minutes. Stopped at a friend's. When I came back out the battery was dead.
                          This tells you everything you need to know. You have a charging problem.

Do the tests in The Stator Papers and fix it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

"....Frustrating because when the bike is going its a blast.. .."

Be a real blast when it runs for hours!
                            start here and please report results step by step

If you get bored read this

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

Your electrical system need maintenance.

From http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/:

Stator Papers

Comment

Working...
                              X