Another Lost Key ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Lost Key ?

Hi, First post here and I did do some searching first, so hopefully this is not a complete repeat.

I am looking for a project bike and have an opportunity to purchase a 1981 GS650L. Cosmetically the bike is in great shape, but does not run and the owner has lost the keys. Bike has not been used for three years. Owner does have the title, so nothing fishy about that.

Questions/Sticking Points:
    1. Are the fuel tank and seat lock keyed to the ignition key? Was hoping that maybe just a blank key from the appropriate era would open the fuel tank and seat lock.
    2. Replacement of ignition vs. getting replacement key, thoughts?
    3. Owner indicated that tank is clean, but it had fuel in it when put away and tank can't currently be opened without the key.

Asking price for the bike is $700.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Blog of my motorcycle projects - http://twowheeljunkie.wordpress.com/
    1981 Suzuki GS650L - Project Bike - Sold
    2013 Suzuki SFV650 - Sold
    2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Touring

Keys are easy. A good old school locksmith can make a key from the three digit number stamped on the lock, they charge about $20 or so. All of the locks should be the same unless someone has swapped it out. There is a guy on ebay that sells keys from the three digit code too.

You might drain a little fuel from the petcock to see how bad it is, but no big deal either way, tanks can be cleaned too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The tank, seat and helmet locks were all the same key originally. A locksmith can make you a key for them. I'd suggest to the owner that he pull off the helmet lock and have a locksmith make a key as part of the deal. We're pretty cheap around here. $700.00 is a bit high for a bike of unknown appearance, no key, and not running.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
        The tank, seat and helmet locks were all the same key originally. A locksmith can make you a key for them. I'd suggest to the owner that he pull off the helmet lock and have a locksmith make a key as part of the deal. We're pretty cheap around here. $700.00 is a bit high for a bike of unknown appearance, no key, and not running.

cg
        What he said except use the missing key as a talking point to get a lower price. Sounds like a $300 bike, since it isn't running, has no key (play that up like it's a big deal) and it's an L anyway.

If he won't come down there are better ones out there anyway for $700.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          What he said except use the missing key as a talking point to get a lower price. Sounds like a $300 bike, since it isn't running, has no key (play that up like it's a big deal) and it's an L anyway.

If he won't come down there are better ones out there anyway for $700.
          Now that sounds like the Tom I know!
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Here is a picture that might help gauge the value:

You can see in the picture that the carburetors have been removed since the owner was planning to send them out to be cleaned. Other things to replace are the battery, front tire, and clutch cable at this point.

What do you think?
            Last edited by DaveP; 04-01-2014, 11:45 AM. Reason: Picture text

Comment

The bike looks pretty good and that's a big plus if it's the bike you want. Very Important... Balance your lust for the project against time and $. It's spring and you know more bikes will be for sale.
              tkent and charlie have said, bikes that don't run, with pieces missing, are negotiable per the ease of getting them going properly. at $300 that'd be a "good Risk" because from your view, it's a risk no matter how shiny the bike is.
              The seller knows that and knows what outsourcing the "cleaning of the carbs" will cost him....what do YOU think it'll cost him? $200? new tire $100, so that'd make it a $1000 "running" and then there's the key+$20,battery+$60....$1100. Would you buy the bike,then for that?
              Could he sell the bike fixed where you live for $1100? (assuming all else is ok, which is then more easily tested) If so why doesn't the seller do it? Because it's easier for him to get you to. Suggest he do it and you will come back again, so you can ride the bike.
              so there's other factors and ways to size the deal up as well....

Comment

I already have a bike, so this is purely for the project aspect and not to get a bike so that I can get out on the road. Getting the owner to get it back to running condition would defeat the purpose. If he had the key, I would think up to $600 would be a fair price.

The GS line is appealing to me, but GL maybe not my first choice. I just like 70's/80's standards. What does everyone have against the GL's?

If these are items that I could tinker with to improve my mechanical skills and then sell it sometime in the future for close to what I put into into it parts wise, that would be an acceptable deal to me.

Most bikes I have seen in this price range, running or not, seem to be in much worse overall condition.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
                  If he had the key, I would think up to $600 would be a fair price.

The GS line is appealing to me, but GL maybe not my first choice. I just like 70's/80's standards. What does everyone have against the GL's?
                  If it were an E or a G, but it's an L. Cut the price in half. I'd try for $200, maybe do $300, but I'd really not even waste my time and effort unless I was looking for something to part out, to cafe, to chop, or to bob.

To ride as is I wouldn't even consider an L. Been there, done that.

But that's just me, some folks love shining them up and looking at them.
                  Or something.

Comment

"....What does everyone have against the GL's?"

envy - controlled by most,

Anyway a non runner with carbs off (and camcover too??) is worth $300 . Lost keys are no problem -a title is a must in Mass. (I lived south of Boston). Make sure his name is on title or plan on registry fun
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      Anyway a non runner with carbs off (and camcover too??) is worth $300. Lost keys are no problem -a title is a must in Mass. (I lived south of Boston). Make sure his name is on title or plan on registry fun
                      Owner indicated that cam cover was taken off by his son for polishing? Also blaming son for losing the keys.

Current owner has been in possession of bike since 1995, so hopefully everything is correct with the title. Indicated that he had clean title in hand.

Comment

Same color has mine - which is no beauty queen, but runs nicely at 43 k .I love it!

Title stuff sounds good. look for signs of rusting on cams . I'd be skepical of owners claims and blames!
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                        X