Which dyna do I go with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which dyna do I go with?

Ok, first off I am brand new to this site. I have already found loads of useful information and am loving this site so far.

Last year my grandfather gave me his 1979 GS750. The bike had been sitting for around 15 years under a tree in his yard, completely exposed to the elements. Sounds like a nightmare right? Wrong. It still turned over, every single bolt and screw could be taken off with little to no effort, and even the lights still worked perfectly, with a new battery of course. Over all, the bike is in fantastic shape for a project.

After getting the new battery in we try to start the bike, but of course no luck. We have traced all the wires and seem to be getting power everywhere, but there is no power getting to the plug wires. We bought new coils thinking that was the problem, but still no spark. My father believes it has something to do with the points, but neither of us are sure because we are brand new to bikes. I already had planned on doing away with the points and getting a dyna system. Problem is, I don't know which one to get. I have seen people with the dyna s, dyna 2000, and dyna 3000. I was just hoping someone could give a little insight on what system will work for me, and maybe a little insight on why we are not getting power to the plugs?

Thanks in advance!

You need the dyna ignition and the dyna green coils. Here's a couple of Z1 links to the items.

If you're at all wondering what parts you need just phone Z1, they are fantastic support on the phone, or by email.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Is there any power getting to the coils? put a volt meter to the orange/white wire going to a coils and see what you get for voltage. Are you getting no spark at all to the plugs when testing against the block? if you're planning on doing the ignition system you might as well order that and the coils AND new plug wires and caps and then start again. Your problem might be fixed if not you'll have a good starting point to diagnose. It won't be anything too complicated.
      Rob
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

There was power getting to the orange/white wires if i remember correctly. I'll have to check back tomorrow and make sure. I do not know what the voltage was though. I have new plugs, wires, and caps already on the bike, but still nothing. I am thinking either the coils that I got are bad, or something is up with the wires and caps. Either way, thanks for the info on the ignition!

Comment

What coils have you bought for the bike? you have to make sure they are compatible with the dyna, as long as they are 5 or 3 ohm they should be. It's not often that the stock coils fail and I've used many stock coils with a dyna ignition. You need to get yourself a manual for the bike or download one for free from Cliffs site.

Rob

Comment

Working...
          X