79 gs750E wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs750E wiring

looking for any assistance in wiring a 1979 suzuki gs750 E for the first time. Any videos or documents would be major help. I get that I'm asking a lot here. lol

Go to Basscliff's site and find your schematic.

Comment

Hey posplayr, been having an interesting time with this wiring harness. I paid some guy to help me take apart and rebuild my bike, problem is aside from taking out the engine he scammed me on everything else. So this is now my first bike build, and now that I'm solo I have a lot of basic questions that I can't seem to find in the haynes manual I have. now that i'm doing the building I can't believe that I was gonna pay someone else to have this fun. But that aside I have a few questions please. Can you tell me what the cable coming out of the back side of the engine block is for? Looks like a power cable. or is it a ground cable? And where does it go?
      Also Ive relocated the battery box, all the components are now going to be bolted to an aluminum plate that I welded to the frame as a base for the seat. With a multimeter the plate seems to have great ground potential, so does everything I pulled off the battery box need to be grounded to this plate? Tomorrow or Thursday I'm going to make an attempt to bolt all the components to the plate and see if I can get my turn signals to work. Man I would love to see something just work right now. let me know any thoughts if you have time. thanks

Comment

Also, i'm now running a lithium ion battery that is kicking out about 13-13.5 volts. Is this ok?

Comment

Originally posted by rbaldenegro View Post
          Hey posplayr, been having an interesting time with this wiring harness. I paid some guy to help me take apart and rebuild my bike, problem is aside from taking out the engine he scammed me on everything else. So this is now my first bike build, and now that I'm solo I have a lot of basic questions that I can't seem to find in the haynes manual I have. now that i'm doing the building I can't believe that I was gonna pay someone else to have this fun. But that aside I have a few questions please. Can you tell me what the cable coming out of the back side of the engine block is for? Looks like a power cable. or is it a ground cable? And where does it go?

GROUND CABLE primarily for starter current return to the battery(-)

Also Ive relocated the battery box, all the components are now going to be bolted to an aluminum plate that I welded to the frame as a base for the seat.

The battery box should be mounted in rubber to avoid transmitting vibration to battery and other components mounted to it.
          With a multimeter the plate seems to have great ground potential, so does everything I pulled off the battery box need to be grounded to this plate?

Probably but since you did not specify what you pulled off I can't say absolutely for sure.

Tomorrow or Thursday I'm going to make an attempt to bolt all the components to the plate and see if I can get my turn signals to work. Man I would love to see something just work right now. let me know any thoughts if you have time. thanks

List the upgrades you plan,

An Series R/R should be standard.

If you have the money do a SSPB (you wont be sorry).

Comment

so that cable connects to the negative charge on the battery?

Comment

so that cable connects to the negative charge on the battery?
              Yes .
              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Ok. Thanks! is it ok if I'm running an lithium ion battery for this bike? On a multimeter it was putting out like 13.2-4 volts. Is this within standards for a 79 gs750? Also where would I pick up one of those R/R's? If my original R/R has output that is in normal range, should i still upgrade, and why? Thanks... I swear im not an idiot, electronics are just something i'm not familiar with. like at all. haha

Comment

Ok. Thanks! is it ok if I'm running an lithium ion battery for this bike? On a multimeter it was putting out like 13.2-4 volts. Is this within standards for a 79 gs750? Also where would I pick up one of those R/R's? If my original R/R has output that is in normal range, should i still upgrade, and why? Thanks... I swear im not an idiot, electronics are just something i'm not familiar with. like at all. haha
                  Read GS stator in my signature

Comment

I read your "gs stator" posts.
                    My manual says that my alternator has to match my R/R.
                    So is it safe to use the R/R you suggested?
                    I still was't able to find how you can purchase that R/R you suggested. Can I just buy a like R/R on electrosport website. a universal R/R?

Comment

I read your "gs stator" posts.
                      My manual says that my alternator has to match my R/R.
                      So is it safe to use the R/R you suggested?
                      I still was't able to find how you can purchase that R/R you suggested. Can I just buy a like R/R on electrosport website. a universal R/R?
                      Yes you can do whatever you like.

Comment

So I ran through a gs charging system health pdf. It looks like it is the R/R.
                        for the test I:
                        "Disconnect the RR from the bike. Switch the multimeter to the diode test position. Connect the RED multimeter lead to the RED positive output wire of the RR. Connect the BLACK multimeter-lead to one of the yellow wires. Check the reading. Repeat this procedure for the two other yellow wires."

If You have a reading of 1.00 V or lower on one of the three tests = bad R/R
                        Mine didn't register anything, it just said .0L. Am I correct with this process?

For ****s and giggles I also tested:

"
                        Connect the BLACK multimeter lead to the RED output wire of the RR. Connect the RED multimeter lead to one yellow wire. Check the reading. Repeat this procedure for the two other yellow wires
                        You have a reading of around 0.50 V on all three tests.
                        The wires all tested right in the range.

Comment

Working...
                        X