AGM batteries are great...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AGM batteries are great...

This battery has sat in my old XT 250 for four years since it was last ridden. No charging, no battery tender, nothing. Forgot all about it. Pulled the battery out today, put a meter to it, 6.5 Volts. Pretty good, it's a 6 V battery. I'll give it a current check tomorrow after it's charged up.

I would have thought it would be completely dead and probably no good at all anymore. Shouldn't it go dead in a few months like a regular lead acid battery?
    I don't get it.

Got it on a charger now, I'm wondering how long it will last if it gets ridden every once in a while.
    Probably forever.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Life's too short to ride with a dead/dying battery ! put it on dirt bike with magneto ignition. I played around with some smaller agms from alarm systems a few years back- they died randomly except for one!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

This bike runs fine with no battery, no electric start anyway. Think I'll se how long it lasts.

Comment

Bought one a few years back.
        A bit more money then a reg battery.
        Well spent though!

Comment

Daam thing sat out in the cold since last september. I brought it in back in December and it was still sitting at 13.1V !! Do these things have an extra cell or something ? lol

I like them so far. But when they do go its been because of one dry cell.
          They do off gas too even though they are sealed but just not loose so much fluid out the side like the typical leads do.
          Stephen.
          1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
          GS twin wiki

Comment

One of the advantages of AGM batteries is there extremely low self discharge rate. That is why when you buy one they are already fully charged.

Comment

I just bought an AGM dry, haven't added the acid yet. I'll wait until the bike is ready to go first.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                I just bought an AGM dry, haven't added the acid yet. I'll wait until the bike is ready to go first.
                ... and that's an extremely nice feature of them. Time pretty much stands still until you add the acid, so there's no shelf life ticking away. That means you can buy a battery when they're on sale, or when you'd like to place an order that's large enough to get free shipping, and then just let it sit until you need it.

I did that exact thing with a Yuasa battery for the Land Barge.
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                  ... and that's an extremely nice feature of them. Time pretty much stands still until you add the acid, so there's no shelf life ticking away. That means you can buy a battery when they're on sale, or when you'd like to place an order that's large enough to get free shipping, and then just let it sit until you need it.

I did that exact thing with a Yuasa battery for the Land Barge.
                  Yep, that's how we roll. Someone on here posted a killer price a month ago, scarfed it up.

I should have bought three.

Comment

Working...
                  X