No announcement yet.

Battery Tender not tending very well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, they are the same as regular lead acid batteries in that regard. They make AGM chargers but it's a scam.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      You can't sell me one at any voltage, I don't use them. My batteries last much longer without any trickling.
      A home alarm system uses a backup battery (either sla or agm) and trickle charges it constantly with no problem.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        A home alarm system uses a backup battery (either sla or agm) and trickle charges it constantly with no problem.

I'm playing around with my TD right now and part of that is installing the new battery I bought for it.

In the instructions for the new battery is says "Prolonged charging or use of a constant current charger could shorten battery life." FWIW.

Comment

More Tender Moments

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
          I'm playing around with my TD right now and part of that is installing the new battery I bought for it.

In the instructions for the new battery is says "Prolonged charging or use of a constant current charger could shorten battery life." FWIW.
          No doubt it can...but I'm told, the amount of charge going into the battery is so low, it's not something that will hurt the battery...at least right away.

I've used mine for over 18 months now and it's worked fine. I thing Allie said you should get at least 5 years out of it...so far, so good.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

I get five or more out of regular batteries with no tender. Always, unless I sell the bike first.
            AGMs should go a lot longer with occasional charging.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Or you could just charge them once or twice a winter and have them last for years and years and years.
              I've tried that with mixed success. Funnily enough, since acquiring some battery tenders, I've had no failed batteries (ones that are in second-line service, I mean).
              Strangest thing.
              Last edited by Grimly; 04-07-2014, 07:42 AM.
              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Or you could just charge them once or twice a winter and have them last for years and years and years.
                Works for me. Cheapo Sears charger every once in a while, good to go.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

OP: 11.8v is pretty low, it's possible your deltran is refusing to charge a battery so low. That or it could actually be broken. Probably try it on a charged battery that has been sitting for a bit and see if the voltage goes up any when hooked to your deltran.

Comment

Working...
                  X