regulator gets hot and wires smoke soon as I start bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

regulator gets hot and wires smoke soon as I start bike

I have 1985 gs700e put on a new stator and a used regulator tested good before I got it off a good running bike.also have new battery checked all wires and grounds are good bike starts and runs good but regulator gets hot and smokees the wires dont know what to do from here should I get a new regulator?

Originally posted by suzukibikerider View Post
    I have 1985 gs700e put on a new stator and a used regulator tested good before I got it off a good running bike.also have new battery checked all wires and grounds are good bike starts and runs good but regulator gets hot and smokees the wires dont know what to do from here should I get a new regulator?
    Question: Why are you not blowing a fuse? There should be a fuse between the battery and the R/R. The fuse should be blowing and you should not be burning wires.

Something is mis-wired even if the R/R is possibly toast.

If you get the fuse in there and it keeps blowing the fuse then change out the R/R.

I would disconnect the battery and use an ohm meter to make damn sure that you have red to red and ground to ground.

Comment

I checked battery cables are good red is +black is- bike is charging ok all fuses are ok bikes wiring is factory never ben cutinto or anything was blowing maine fuse before I installed the new stator and regulator now it starts up with no fuse blowing but smoke coming from plug on regulator and very hot if I get a new regulator and it still does this dont want waste the money could the stator wires b wrong has 3 yellow this site says dont matter they all the same yellow to yellow

Comment

Originally posted by suzukibikerider View Post
        I checked battery cables are good red is +black is- bike is charging ok all fuses are ok bikes wiring is factory never ben cutinto or anything was blowing maine fuse before I installed the new stator and regulator now it starts up with no fuse blowing but smoke coming from plug on regulator and very hot if I get a new regulator and it still does this dont want waste the money could the stator wires b wrong has 3 yellow this site says dont matter they all the same yellow to yellow
        I have had bad crimps in an R/R connector that were just loose. Came that way brand new from Electrosport. It causes the R/R to get very hot very fast.

Comment

Working...
        X