Gs 1100e ignition, spark issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 1100e ignition, spark issue

My1981 gs 1100e seems to be missing. Its not backfiring or bogging down, just randomly missing, like somebody is killing the ignition for a millisecond. It has a stock ignition, new pl u hs gapped at 20 thou. Any ideas? Where should I start and how do I test the various components? Thanks in advanve, Jonn
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

You can test the signal generator but those hardly go bad.
    The stock igniters can check out but have problems when they get hot.
    Is there a chance you are getting water in the ignition cover?
    I'd go with a new Dyna S if the igniter is going out. I would avoid used Dyna products.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I am new to this forum, and new to the GS line, but I have the same bike that you do and I believe your problem is due to your plugs being misgapped. I am in the process of upgrading my electrical system due to weak spark issues and the factory specs for the plug gap for the 1100 is .026 to .032. I fiddled around with different gaps in this range and found that, at least for my GS as they seem to be quirky machines, .028 to .030 seems to work best. Also, if you are still running the stock stator, I recommend the Dyna S upgrade. It eliminates the ignitor module all together which prevents what seem to be likely electrical/ignition problems later on. Hope my research helps you. Good luck with that GS. They are diamonds in the rough!

Comment

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
        My1981 gs 1100e seems to be missing. Its not backfiring or bogging down, just randomly missing, like somebody is killing the ignition for a millisecond. It has a stock ignition, new pl u hs gapped at 20 thou. Any ideas? Where should I start and how do I test the various components? Thanks in advanve, Jonn
        I have had similar problems always ended up being a short in the run/off switch . simple and often overlooked might not be your problem but worth a look .

Comment

Working...
        X