battery issue 1983 gs 650 gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery issue 1983 gs 650 gl

ok here is my issue !! wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to correct this issue ????
    this has happened 3 times this week !!

ok i drive bike 40 km to work in the morning , when i get to work i have to park at the side of the building , to go inside and sign keys out from security , well when i go back outside and try to start up my bike , it doesnt start !! lights come on but very dim < not enough juice to turn the bike over !!
    so i push bike into underground and park it in a mechanical room , i return to bike 1 hr later and theres LOTS of juice and the bike turns over with no problems .....

i ride home at the end of the day , and hook my battery up to a battery charger and trickle charge the battery and it charges right to 100% , and everything is ok for a day or 2 days tops , then this happens again !!

battery is brand new bought last yr !!

but why when i leave the bike after this happening for 1 hr is there power to start the bike ??

if the battery is dead ? and wont start the bike , why would it have enough juice to start the bike 1 hr later ??

confused , and at work so no i dont have a tester available to me this minute ...

oh one other thing ... installed brand new rectifyer at beginning of last season ....

Comment

Originally posted by lrgguy View Post
      oh one other thing ... installed brand new rectifyer at beginning of last season ....
      What kind of R/R did you get? how old is your battery? Have you done the quick test stuff? (best to post results or suffer the consequences )

You might just have bad connections, but.....
      P.S. I hate pushing 500 lbs of bike
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

There are problems starters can get that where they won't work when they are hot, but work fine when cold. Can't remember what it was, maybe a brush thing? Sorry I have read about it but can't quite rcall the details.

Assuming your charging system tests OK, and the battery Voltage is good, and the solenoid and cables to the starter are good, solid 12V going to the starter when you push the button, you might want to look at the starter itself.

One more thing, corrosion in the ground cable from the battery to the engine can do this too.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Tom R/R you ask ? the rectifyer was ordered from my local motorcycle parts place it was oem and from suzuki ... the battery was purchased at the same time , however it is just a motomaster battery 12 v 14 ah think it was 69.99 ... but i didnt have this problem not once last year ..

i do have a tester at home , so if you could point me in the right direction and order to track this issue down it would be appreciated ...

im just hoping i make it home from down town toronto with out a problem !!!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            There are problems starters can get that where they won't work when they are hot, but work fine when cold. Can't remember what it was, maybe a brush thing? Sorry I have read about it but can't quite rcall the details.

Assuming your charging system tests OK, and the battery Voltage is good, and the solenoid and cables to the starter are good, solid 12V going to the starter when you push the button, you might want to look at the starter itself.

One more thing, corrosion in the ground cable from the battery to the engine can do this too.
            this sounds exactly what the issue is !! like i said when this happens i can park the bike and let it sit for 30 min to 1 hr , and boom the bike starts up !!! no problem what so ever !!

omg this bike !!!! i have dropped $1000 bucks into it in the last 3 weeks ,
            new carb boots
            new plugs and new plug caps
            oil change and filter
            new front and rear tire
            new throttle cable
            new tach cable
            new valve gasket
            new fork seals

whats next ??? grrrrrr

looking at at 1978 gs 1100 this weekend hopefully for $1500

Comment

omg this bike !!!! i have dropped $1000 bucks into it in the last 3 weeks ,

whats next ??? grrrrrr
              Yeah, the Ls are like that.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Yeah, the Ls are like that.
                Must be an aberration- L's are practically maintenance free. I won't live long enough to have $1000 in mine!

Irgguy; when you get home do that quick test-don't leap to conclusions.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

thx alot guys !!! muchly appreciated ...

oh this other bike im looking at this weekend , this guy calls it a 1978 gs 1100 !! did suzuki even make the 1100 in 78 ? cuzz i cant find anything on an 1100 until 1980

Comment

thx alot guys !!! muchly appreciated ...

oh this other bike im looking at this weekend , this guy calls it a 1978 gs 1100 !! did suzuki even make the 1100 in 78 ? cuzz i cant find anything on an 1100 until 1980
                    Suzuki never made one, but a lot of owners did.

Could be a 1000E with an 1100G top end, if you're lucky it's a 750E with a 1000E engine and 1100GK top end.

Comment

this is what he calls it ans here is a pic of the bike ... i got him down to $1300 Motorcycle 1978 Suzuki GS1100, 37,000 KM, gently used and stored. Michelin tires. Ran excellent when put away two years ago. Carb has been completely rebuilt. Needs a battery. Comes with cover. $1500.00 firm

Comment

he sais he hooked it up to a battery and put some fresh gas in it and it fired right up first try !!!

Comment

another pic of bike

Comment

never mind .. he just confirmed it is infact a 1978 gs 1000 E .. hmmm still looks good for $1300 ,

Comment

That's worth more. Jump on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X