Testing the oil temp sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing the oil temp sensor?

Hi. On my GSX the oil temp gauge is dead, so I need to figure out first if the sensor itself is dead or if it is a wiring problem or finally a gauge problem...

Does anyone know the ohm range for the sensor?

I can't find it in the haynes manual i have...

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
    Hi. On my GSX the oil temp gauge is dead, so I need to figure out first if the sensor itself is dead or if it is a wiring problem or finally a gauge problem...

It is all in the manual

Comment

Can't find anything, other than to ground the sensor wire and check if the gauge jumps up to max, which it does, so the sensor itself is probably faulty.
      Is this still available or will I have to buy second hand? Maybe a sensor from another bike fits?

Comment

Take it out of the sending unit cover and plug it back into the wire. Use the pot as the sensor ground by touching it to the bike. Drop the sensors end into some boiling water with some pliers and see if the gauge goes up.

I do believe the sensor uses the block as aground..Yes? If not, just drop it in the water.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Haynes might be a manual but it is not "the" manual

Comment

I'll look it up for you. I have Haynes and Suzuki (the only two I know of). I have to go out soon (then I have to locate the manuals!).
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Spiff - year and model of your bike?
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                Spiff - year and model of your bike?
                Yea that might matter

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Yea that might matter
                  That occurred to me.

Comment

Oh! sure! 1983 GSX1100ES, you guys call it a GS?

Comment

I know that Factory manual is on Basscliff's website (free pdf download).

Comment

It's known as GS1100ESD over here. Let me swing open the books (I have an '82 1100e).

Comment

I couldn't find anything about the '83 model. In the 1984 section, I found this:

Oil temp (OT) 50 C (122F) Standard Resistance (SR) approx 155 ohms
                          OT 100 C - SR 38 ohms
                          OT 130 C - SR 19 ohms
                          OT 150 C - SR 13 ohms

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            I couldn't find anything about the '83 model. In the 1984 section, I found this:

Oil temp (OT) 50 C (122F) Standard Resistance (SR) approx 155 ohms
                            OT 100 C - SR 38 ohms
                            OT 130 C - SR 19 ohms
                            OT 150 C - SR 13 ohms
                            Rob S's on the job!! Nice work looking up the information in the manual. It's amazing how much info is available once you look in the right places.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I just looked up the 82 oil gauge information in the GS1100E factory manual and that ain't it. It might apply but whole really knows for sure?

Comment

Working...
                              X