Matching wiring on new coil for GS450GA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matching wiring on new coil for GS450GA

One of my coils got fried, so I bought a replacement from eBay. The vendor listed as appropriate for my GS450GA. However, the wiring on the new coil does not match the one for the Suzuki GS450GA. On the old coil, I have an Orange/White connected to the positive tab, and a Black/Yellow connected to the negative tab. The new coil does not have negative/positive labels for the tabs, but there is a white and orange wire. Can anyone tell me which on the new coil is the positive and which is the negative?

Thanks.

Have you checked ohms on this replacement coil and compared it to your known good coil?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

No. Is this something I need to do? Does that help me identify which tab is negative, and which is positive? Sorry that I am a little dense on this, and thanks for the help.

Comment

It's a coil.....there is no polarity.
        Yes, the resistance should be the same/similar to stock spec.
        1982 Suzuki GS450TZ
        1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper88 View Post
          It's a coil.....there is no polarity.
          Yes, the resistance should be the same/similar to stock spec.
          Thanks for the comment. But on the old coil, the "+" and "-" are clearly stamped in. Also, from the little I understand, the direction of the flow determines the direction of the magnetic field, which in terms determines the direction of the current flow to the spark plug. I could be wrong, but I rather be safe by double checking before connecting the new coil. This is my limitations, so appreciate the input and information from others.

Comment

All coils I have seen have a + and a - near the terminals. Not sure what happens if you reverse it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              All coils I have seen have a + and a - near the terminals. Not sure what happens if you reverse it.
              No problem, spark will just leap across plug cap in different direction.
              But check ohms, ignitors tend to be fussy about their mates.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                No problem, spark will just leap across plug cap in different direction.
                But check ohms, ignitors tend to be fussy about their mates.
                Thanks. Can any verify that reversing the wire does not cause any problem? I read that the current must flow in a given direction: "By design the electrons must leave the negatively charged end of the coiled wire, flow to the park plug, across the spark plug gap, and return to the positively charged end of the secondary coil winding."

I also remember reading that reversing the direction can fry some electrical circuits.

I guess best thing to do is figure out which wires on the new coil (orange and white) correspond to the wires on the old (black/yellow and orange/white). If anyone knows, I would love to get that information.

Comment

"By design the electrons must leave the negatively charged end of the coiled wire, flow to the park plug, across the spark plug gap, and return to the positively charged end of the secondary coil winding."

Sure, but it can flow in either direction and still leap gap!
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

You'll have to try this one by the seat of your pants. If it is reversed it will fire from the ground electrode to the center electrode causing about 20% power loss under load and possible idle problems. If the bike worked well before, it's a matter of hooking it up both ways to see which runs better under load. If not you would be better off buying a matched set of coils that are marked so you don't go chasing your tail because of other problems.
                    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      "By design the electrons must leave the negatively charged end of the coiled wire, flow to the park plug, across the spark plug gap, and return to the positively charged end of the secondary coil winding."

Sure, but it can flow in either direction and still leap gap!
                      Thanks. Yes, it can spark, but I believe it treats the frame differently, thus can potentially fry other electrical/electronic components.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                        You'll have to try this one by the seat of your pants. If it is reversed it will fire from the ground electrode to the center electrode causing about 20% power loss under load and possible idle problems. If the bike worked well before, it's a matter of hooking it up both ways to see which runs better under load. If not you would be better off buying a matched set of coils that are marked so you don't go chasing your tail because of other problems.
                        Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, not many replacement coils that are "compatible" with the GS450GA. Have you actually experiment with possibly reversing the polarity? I was told that doing so could potentially damage other electrical/electronic parts.

Comment

Originally posted by pmong View Post
                          Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, not many replacement coils that are "compatible" with the GS450GA. Have you actually experiment with possibly reversing the polarity? I was told that doing so could potentially damage other electrical/electronic parts.
                          Orange positive, white negative...there it has been settled

Reversing the connections on a coil makes no difference in function and the electrons don't care which way they flow. The biggest impact is on the person who has to work on the electrical next; having things connected in a standard way makes it easier for the next guy who doesn't have to scratch his/her head and figure out if that black wire on the + terminal is positive or negative.

The exception to the above would be speakers, a speaker connected backwards works but sounds terrible among other speakers connected properly when they are playing the same audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                            Orange positive, white negative...there it has been settled

Reversing the connections on a coil makes no difference in function and the electrons don't care which way they flow. The biggest impact is on the person who has to work on the electrical next; having things connected in a standard way makes it easier for the next guy who doesn't have to scratch his/her head and figure out if that black wire on the + terminal is positive or negative.

The exception to the above would be speakers, a speaker connected backwards works but sounds terrible among other speakers connected properly when they are playing the same audio.
                            THANKS! This closes the thread with a definitive answer.

Comment

THANKS! This closes the thread with a definitive answer.
                              Sorry, but I am going to re-open it.

Also, from the little I understand, the direction of the flow determines the direction of the magnetic field, which in terms determines the direction of the current flow to the spark plug.
                              Yes, it does, but read on.
                              I read that the current must flow in a given direction: "By design the electrons must leave the negatively charged end of the coiled wire, flow to the park plug, across the spark plug gap, and return to the positively charged end of the secondary coil winding."

I also remember reading that reversing the direction can fry some electrical circuits.
                              Partly true, read on.

Yes, there is a direction to the spark, but keep in mind that you have TWO spark plugs connected to that coil. One of them will have current flowing from the engine block to the wire, the other will flow from the wire to the engine block. If you reverse the leads on the coil, the only thing that will happen is that you will change which plug flows which way.

That link that was referenced was not entirely wrong, but it was assuming a typical older automotive system, where there was a single coil and a distributor that passed the spark on to the various plugs. In that system, current will, indeed, flow in only one direction. When you have two plugs, like our GSes do, the plugs are on opposite ends of the same wire (the coil is in the middle), so current flows from one plug to the other.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X