posplayr is my hero!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

posplayr is my hero!

Ok, so I've had this 1982 550M for a couple years now and have redone just about everything on it including an almost new engine. It came to me in non running form and the electrics were pretty hacked up. I'm no expert with circuits but I know enough to be dangerous and got most of the hacked up wiring back to stock. Everything seemed to run ok so for the past years. Or, so I thought...

Fast forward to this winter when I decided to take some of the advice of the forum experts and check my voltage loss in my harness. Well, I soon discovered that my OEM fusebox left a lot to be desired. About that time Posplayr was working on this super cool solid state fuse box replacement that would also perform the headlamp and coil relay mods. For $150 bucks it was to me a great value. Fix up my harness, eliminate those old glass fuses, have the relay mods built in, etc, etc.

So a month ago I get the SSPB installed with the help of Posplyr and I'm off to the races. Or so I thought. One day, as I was tinkering around, I noticed that my bike only started when I released the Start button. Huh? Yeah, while depressing the start button, it would crank and crank but only when I let go of the button would it fire. I pulled a plug, grounded the spark plug, and confirmed this was in fact happening. WT...?

So, thinking it must be something I did with the SSPB install, I reached out to Jim for assistance. We exchanged emails back and forth and he was trying, patiently I might add, his best to help a neophyte. After a dozen or so emails, I just said simply...call me.

Jim called me almost immediately and spent the next hour walking me through countless tests. This was such a weird problem even Jim didn't know for sure so he started from step one and on from there. Turns out, the issue had nothing whatsoever to do with his SSPB. Of course. It turns out the PO had wired the ground wire of the ignitor to the solenoid starter side. WTF!?!? Jim thinks this was done to use the Start button as an ignition cut for speed shifting. I guess that would explain why it would pop out of 2nd gear when I got it.

I would have NEVER noticed that if not for Jim. Not only did he make a great product for us (get an SSPB, you'll be glad you did), not only is he an electrical savant, not only did this have nothing to do with his product, but he's also a classy, generous, helpful and patient guy. If there was an award for GSR Stud, Jim would be the winner.

Thanks again sir. You've got my vote.

Sincerely,
    sci85
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

I like posplyr...he's one of the good guys. Glad you wrote him up and shared your story!

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
      If there was an award for GSR Stud, Jim would be the winner.

Thanks again sir. You've got my vote.

Sincerely,
      sci85
      Feel free to nominate him for the Bard Award when the announcement is made (probably early next year), which is our "Member of the Year".

Way to go, Jim.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK cool. That's great there's an award for members. Jim is definitely worthy. This was the oddest problem and he spent way more time than I would have if I had to do it on my own.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
          OK cool. That's great there's an award for members. Jim is definitely worthy. This was the oddest problem and he spent way more time than I would have if I had to do it on my own.
          Thanks Clay, glad we got down to the bottom of that mystery.

That is an interesting trick. It is basically like using the starter solenoid to do a headlamp cutout using a Boche relay.

I assume that the starter doesn't get hurt from running because the motor is going so much faster that it just outruns the starter clutch.

In thinking about it some more it is probably an anti kickback technique because you can keep the engine turning until it gets up to speed and then it only fires on release.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

I was probably a mistake thinking about it being for about shifting as it would need to be the horn button (other side) could be used for the same type of a control. In other words if you wire a high side switch just like the start button, and attach to the same starter side of the solenoid terminal, you have a quick shift cutout without having to pull in the clutch.

Or swap Start Button for Horn button and visa versa

Jim
          Last edited by posplayr; 04-14-2014, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Ultimately, this thing had such a hacked up wiring harness when I got it, I think it was a mistake most likely. It was probably inadvertently placed there. The good ole Suzuki engine just turned over so well it masked the issue. I would have never figured that out though so many thanks again.
            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Working...
            X