Extra grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra grounds

So, as I'm now the owner of a 1981 GS850G, I need to cover the bases on known problems. The stator woes can be lessened by running better grounding, I am told. So, where are the optimum spots to put extra grounds?
    I would not want to be a few hundred miles from home with a dead bike knowing I should have taken this simple precaution!

I typically add a ground from behind the solenoid to the battery, one from the battery to under the front battery tray mount and another from the regulator to the rear battery mount.
    I clean the paint off the frame and use external star washers sandwiched under the battery mounts. All of my bikes have no other modifications to the factory charging system.

Comment

See high performance grounding

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
      Last edited by posplayr; 04-14-2014, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
          I typically add a ground from behind the solenoid to the battery, one from the battery to under the front battery tray mount and another from the regulator to the rear battery mount.
          I clean the paint off the frame and use external star washers sandwiched under the battery mounts. All of my bikes have no other modifications to the factory charging system.
          Pretty much what I've been doing too. I also like to hard wire (solder and shrink) the stator wires to the R/R wires. I also have been going to Honda (Shindengen) R/Rs. In future, I will begin to upgrade those to the more modern type, although I have had zero problems with the Honda units.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I also like to hard wire (solder and shrink) the stator wires to the R/R wires.
            I'll second that. The 'bullet' connectors are OK when clean and new, but after a few years you get problems. In fact I've removed as many of the old connectors as I reasonably can from the wiring looms of my bikes... soldered joints (with the heat-shrink wrapping) are trouble-free.

Comment

I have also been replacing the factory battery to engine ground with new cable and star washers as the 30+ YO wire tends to be corroded and has too much resistance. Just more "insurance"

Comment

A question:

After reading thru the old "Ground Loops" thread, and the "High Performance Grounding" thread, I somewhat understand the need for separate grounds, etc, but what gauge wire should be used for the R/R mount to frame ground strap & for the Bat (-) to R/R mount? 8? 10? 12?
                Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

12 gauge would probably work just fine, but I would probably use 10.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here is my planned grounding set up, based on what I have read:

1.) R/R (-) lead to an R/R mounting point.
                    2.) R/R mounting point to a frame ground.
                    3.) Battery (-) to R/R mounting point.
                    4.) Battery (-) ground strap to engine.
                    5.) B/W ring lug from harness to front battery box mount
                    6.) B/W ring lug to starter solenoid ground.

Am I missing something? Anything that should be changed or omitted?
                    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

I did leave out a few details as I kind of thought that it went without saying... I also chase all threads, take a fine wire wheel to all used bolts, add penetrating oil or dielectric grease to threads, use new SS bolts, etc.

Comment

I have been chasing threads and replacing factory bolts with stainless cap head bolts as I go along (anti seize applied before install, of course).
                        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Thanks, GSX1000e

I've copied and pasted your three posts on grounding. They're not copyrighted, are they?
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
                            Here is my planned grounding set up, based on what I have read:

14 ga 1.) R/R (-) lead to an R/R mounting point.
                            2.) 16 ga R/R mounting point to a frame ground.
                            16 ga 3.) Battery (-) to R/R mounting point.
                            4.) Battery (-) ground strap to engine. OEM/STOCK
                            16ga5.) B/W ring lug from harness to front battery box mount This is superfluous but doesn't hurt anything
                            6.)16 ga B/W ring lug to starter R/R Mounting point (solenoid ground).

Am I missing something? Anything that should be changed or omitted?
                            Read this thread. It is pretty straight forward describing Single Point Grounding (SPG) applied to your GS. The grounds only need to be 16 ga although the R/R(-) from the SPG should be 14 ga.

The big wire from engine case to battery(-) is either 8 ga or 10 ga and excluded from the list.

Here is a detailed power and grounding analysis if you install a SSPB. The ground side uses a Single Point ground strategy which doesn't require the SSPB and would apply to your situation. You can see that the SSPB basically implements power distribution in an analogous way to how single point grounds operate on the negative side.

Note on wire sizes you can always go bigger, so size shown are maximum ga size (or minimum diameters)
                            Last edited by posplayr; 04-16-2014, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X