No announcement yet.

head light went out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF, it's downhill all the way to ND, and usually a tailwind most o the way. No problemo!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The stator wiring needs some "refinement" - the 3 leads coming out of stator need to go direct to R/R; you might have to cut connectors off to achieve this. It's not plug-n-play if you do it right.

Take a look here-this shows the basics; ignore the orange wire for now

Once again, you should do that quick test (if stator is still on bike)- it takes 5 minutes and offers clues to your bikes health.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Down hill.

You don't get the peoples humour around here yet. Better to do your maintenance first, than to have do repairs on the road in the middle of nowhere. Just my 2 cents.
        1981 GS 1000GLX.
        1981 GS 1000G.
        1981 GS 650GLX.
        1975 TS 185.
        1972 100. Kawasaki.
        1968 100. Suzuki.
        1970 Z 50. Honda.
        1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
        1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Originally posted by mandu57
          well guys adios. I am deleting my account. just because.
          Glad to see that you are not being nasty about it.

Seems that most folks are trying to be helpful, and a couple just jokeing around.

I am trying to help.
          One concern I have is that if you have no headlight and no instrument lights, maybe you should check to see if have tail light and brake lights.

Dave

PS: I do not know if you can delete your account.
          You can delete a post, and if delete the first post then the entire thread is gone.
          I do know that if do not log in for sometime like 3 months, it will expire.

Last edited by Redman; 04-24-2014, 08:50 PM. Reason: add PS

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            Glad to see that you are not being nasty about it.

Seems that most folks are trying to be helpful, and a couple just jokeing around.

I am trying to help.
            One concern I have is that if you have no headlight and no instrument lights, maybe you should check to see if have tail light and brake lights.

Dave
            Some people have to learn that "free advice" is not an infinite resource. (although availability is probably inversely related to value)

The marginal utility (MU) of that resource should be maximized and not reading and not listening to what is typed is a sure way to make MU go to zero as was well demonstrated here in this thread.

Comment

He sounded very frustrated-long ride ahead of him back to ND. He had an idea of what to check, but was stubborn about doing it in a step by step manner to help pinpoint/narrow down the problem. My mom used to say...."you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I don't know what route he had planned but I was gonna offer assistance if he broke down near me.

Comment

He might still be lurking on here, so that's a nice offer. I'd send him a spare R/R to simplify his life, but he's got to lighten up.
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Welcome back ; so you got a new stator? 3 yellow wires on it? What don't you understand about this diagram

There's lots of people on here willing to help- you still hanging out in Florida?
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Well, the Florida tourist board won't have you for a spokesperson! Anyways, glad it seems to be fixed. If you get bored, come back and do some reading here,cuz there are a few mods that can improve your charging system's life expectancy! Good luck in PA
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

Ok Tom,one more thing send me in the direction of figuring the head light and dash light problem..I tried to find it but to no avail.. so I figure i'll run a wire from battery to headlight thru an on/off switch..

Comment

What model/year is this again? Then, I could get the right wiring diagram.
                          Anyways, the basics are pretty much the same across all models/years. The main fuse (15 amp) gets power from battery and sends it to one side of ignition switch; when you then turn key "ON", the power goes back to fusebox and powers up those other 3 fuses ( ignition, headlight,and turn signals) where it then goes to the differrent items.
                          Corrosion causes all sorts of problems. Yeah, you can run a wire direct to headlight from battery -make sure you use an inline 10 amp fuse along with switch.
                          The dashboard lights probably come off different fuse than headlight- I'm unsure with whatever model you have.
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

81 gs1100e.does it also run tail light. .since tail light works. so it might be some where near headlight..maybe a ground...

Comment

I'm have trouble viewing your bike's diagram; on my 81 650 the tail light runs off headlight fuse ( I just checked). Most other stuff runs off turn signal fuse.
                              Yes, could be ground for headlight bulb or your left hand switch might be faulty- does yours still have on/off switch?
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

it's high low switch on left..kill switch on right control
                                Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2014, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X