X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 GS450L Starter Solenoid Change

Hi there everybody,

I'm so glad I found this forum! GS450 here

After getting the 450, making it work again and taking some rides with it, it wouldn't move anymore all of a sudden. Changed the Spark plugs but still get no fire.
    Checked the gas tubes and they are all clean so I got a new starter solenoid.

My problem now is taking the old one off without frying everything:
    at least one screw on the whole cover (where the solenoid and the igniter sit on) is messed up so I have to use my removal kit.
    While working on it before I must have touched the bike frame and that resulted in sparks everywhere!

Now, how do I remove the broken bolt without touching most of the other things and how do I get out the starter relay without getting zapped? I am really not the electrical person.

Btw - the battery was unplugged and out.

I'm having trouble believing
    Btw - the battery was unplugged and out.
    If the battery is out, I'm wondering how you got
    sparks everywhere!
    . You would need to have another battery or a big capacitor (that I have not heard of as stock equipment) hidden away on the bike somewhere....
    And if you do have a "big capacitor" somewhere, I expect you have now discharged it.
    Maybe you should check you have a really bad extension cord or some other household appliance draped across the bike's frame ... but I'm really stretching for something here that doesn't include the accidental discovery of something Tesla couldn't quite get.

Comment

Working...
    X