82 GS 550M Katana Wont Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS 550M Katana Wont Start

Hello all. I did a general search but couldn't really find what I was looking for. If I over looked something I apologize.

I got my bike all setteled up with everything all fixed so I thought. Just had an issue with the idle. So I parked the bike for a couple weeks after going out for a little hoot on her. I came back to it, replaced the air filter put fresh gas in it. I went to start it and got nothing from the switch. So i jumped the battery, checked my fuses and everything looked okay but i still got nothing from the button.

So my questions are as follows.

1. Wheres my starter relay located? Under my seat? Can I hop it with a screwdriver like I would a car?

2. Where should I start looking for a bad ground?

3. Any other ideas I should try? Was really excited to see if I had fixed that idle issue only to have it not start.

Thanks in advance for the help guys. I'm new to the bike world and my knowledge on fixing stuff is limited but there is some there. Any help is appreciated

Follow that big wire coming out of starter motor cover,cuz it connects to solenoid under seat probably in vicinity of battery. The solenoid is triggered by a small green/white (?) wire which gets a positive 12 volt pulse from starter button provided clutch safety switch is engaged (if you still have one) and run switch is "ON". The solenoid often loses its frame ground connection due to corrosion and then no workee!

You can use a jumper wire from 12 positive battery to trigger wire connection on solenoid -MAKE sure bike is in neutral on centerstand!!!

Do not jump bike battery from running vehicle- bad stuff can happen
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the quick response Tom. I will take your advice and check out the bike when I get a chance some time next week. Am I to believe that my train of thought is correct that, based on the symptoms, I'm looking at a ground or solenoid problem? The wiring looks like a bloody rats nest and seems like the previous owner really liked to do his own wiring!

Comment

Did you pull the clutch lever when you tried to start the bike?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Let's hope that previous owner was not too creative- the stock wiring is a little confusing at first. Have you been to Basscliff's site? first page has wiring diagrams, yours is likely similar to 82 gs650, get a color version and print it out big!

Since your bike was running, chances are it's something simple- bad connections, faulty key and/or kill switch, etc.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Did you pull the clutch lever when you tried to start the bike?

Absolutely. Always do. But I don't need to. It starts without, is that normal?
            Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            Let's hope that previous owner was not too creative- the stock wiring is a little confusing at first. Have you been to Basscliff's site? first page has wiring diagrams, yours is likely similar to 82 gs650, get a color version and print it out big!

Since your bike was running, chances are it's something simple- bad connections, faulty key and/or kill switch, etc.
            I have not but I will be sure to check it out. Thanks. I have a feeling I may have pulled something loose when changing the air filter.

Comment

I have an L. I had a similar problem with mine and turned out to be the clutch switch. Some cleaning and dielectric grease and no issues for over a year. Just a thought.

Comment

I hopped the starter relay today and it tried to start didn't want to run though (probably some other issue). I'm not sure what the problem could be. Judging that it did try to start I'm thinking the relay. I'm in a little over my head here and would like to take it to a shop this weekend but I would like to do it with some knowledge as to what the problem could be so I don't get totally screwed.

Comment

Start by cleaning ALL your connections, front to back. Then see if you have an issue.
                  V
                  Gustov
                  80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                  80 GS 550 L
                  86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAzzo View Post
                    I hopped the starter relay today and it tried to start didn't want to run though .....
                    Did you "hopped" it this way ?
                    "You can use a jumper wire from 12 positive battery to trigger wire connection on solenoid -MAKE sure bike is in neutral on centerstand!!!"
                    -this means solenoid is likely OK

or did you bypass solenoid entirely -pliers or somesuch on big solenoid terminals?

I still say you have a minor connection problem- bike was running and then something got disturbed. No shop is as interested in your bike as you are!
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

If it is the solenoid, btw, that is a $15 dollar fix if you do it yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X