Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy, any ideas or thoughts on rewiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy, any ideas or thoughts on rewiring?

I am new to this forum but not bikes, I have a 82 gs 850 which I bought for 300$ and it had the whole wirin harness pulled apart. My project I going to be a rat rod, so I figured I would start from scratch and wire just what I want. So my question is what do you guys think is the most refined or simplistic way. I am a automotive tech so I have lots of supplies.

Go to BassCliff's website here and grab the wiring diagram for the 80 850G. Eliminate anything you are not going to have (such as turn signals and associated components) and see what you have left.
    18 gauge wire is fine for most of the wiring, except for high current items such as the starter circuit, R/R output and headlight.

Comment

Cool thanks

Comment

need more ideas guys!

Comment

AFA what?
          Perhaps a list of what you wish to leave wired up, and a list of what you wish to eliminate?
          You will need your charging system and your ignition system just to run.
          Everything else could be optional.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            AFA what?
            Perhaps a list of what you wish to leave wired up, and a list of what you wish to eliminate?
            You will need your charging system and your ignition system just to run.
            Everything else could be optional.
            This pretty much sums it up. Since youre in automotive tech, you should be good at reading wiring diagrams. My suggestion, which is in other words of what Koolaid said. Is to build your bike with what you want on it. Then youll know what you'll be eliminating. But IMO what is electrical that your not gonna be using? Most of the things are needed in most states per the law..

Comment

So, to further clarify:
              You'll need a way to switch it off/on. That could be a rocker switch.
              You'll need a brake light. Most operate on both the front and rear brake.
              You'll need instrumentation lights and a tail light.
              You'll need a headlight. I suggest one with a high/low switch. By law it must always be on.
              That will make you legal.

Comment

If you search there is a thread called "minimal 550 bobber schematic" it is a stripped down no light schematic you can add your lights to

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  You'll need a headlight. I suggest one with a high/low switch. By law it must always be on.
                  Not in my state. "Always on" is only required for motorcycles built after 1986. Before that, it can be off.

Not that I recommend leaving it off - the law is for safety. But just sayin'

Hell, PA doesn't even require turn signals either.

Comment

O.K., so that could be a rocker switch as well. Depending on where he lives, which we have no clue.

Comment

I live in nh, thanks guys

Comment

Hey guys I have noticed that the stator has three wires that are all black and wanted to know the reason and how it must hook up to the r/r

Comment

Originally posted by metalist25 View Post
                          Hey guys I have noticed that the stator has three wires that are all black and wanted to know the reason and how it must hook up to the r/r
                          You should read The Stator Papers on the main site. The fact that all three stator phase wires are going to the r/r means your bike has been fixed against the charging system problem that GSs had.

Comment

The wire sheathing is black because it is an aftermarket stator. That is, it has already been changed at least once.

Comment

Ok because I was line how do I figure out to hook them in the correct order

Comment

Working...
                              X