83 gs650gl governor assembly spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs650gl governor assembly spring

While putting everything back together tonite I noticed in the bottom of the signal generator casing a broken small spring sitting there , now I know theres two springs in there and its not such a big deal !! Im sure I have a spring kicking around .but not my brain is turning and I want to understand how the governor assembly works and whats its purpose ?? Yeah im sure this isa stupid question , but hey its after midnite and I have been working on a bike for 7 hrs , so I think im entitled to a stupid question.... hahaha

Mechanical timing advance. There are weights, they spin, the springs hold them in place until enough centrifugal force is generated.

Comment

The springs hold the timing to about 10 btdc at idle and then gradually release as revs go up. You'll need both- did you find the rest of broken spring?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Those springs will have equal pull strength, you can't just install another spring, it may not have the same tension. replace in pairs
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Ill pick up two then ... now tell me what would the symptoms be if there was only one of these springs functioning in there for say the last two weeks ? What would happen ? Would I notice a difference ?
          Was up till midnight got the old valve gasket finaly all cleaned off , and the new gasket installed , carbs are back in after poking and spraying every hole and replacing all o rings on mixture screws .. tonite I guess I jump in and learn about points !!

Comment

Originally posted by lrgguy View Post
            Ill pick up two then ... now tell me what would the symptoms be if there was only one of these springs functioning in there for say the last two weeks ? What would happen ? Would I notice a difference ?
            Was up till midnight got the old valve gasket finaly all cleaned off , and the new gasket installed , carbs are back in after poking and spraying every hole and replacing all o rings on mixture screws .. tonite I guess I jump in and learn about points !!
            If you were running the bike with 1 spring , you would probably experience poor throttle response off the idle circuit, in other words the ignition timing would be OK at idle but would probably advance to quickly as you turn the throttle, causing either a hesitation or a stumble.
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

No Tom I have not found the broken piece yet ...
              Appears as though just half the hook part of the spring broke ! Ill take a looke around for Iit tonite ..

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                If you were running the bike with 1 spring , you would probably experience poor throttle response off the idle circuit, in other words the ignition timing would be OK at idle but would probably advance to quickly as you turn the throttle, causing either a hesitation or a stumble.
                Thank you !! That is exactly the symptom I was experiencing !! And I thought it was the fact that my o rings on mymixture screws on #1 & #2 carbs was causing the issue ..
                Ill pick up 2 new springs and already installed 4 new o rings and hopefully the bike will be back running good ..

Comment

Looking forward to getting this gs650gl out of my livingroom , and moving my new 78gs1000E in !!!

Comment

Broken spring !! These older bikes sure do get frustrating ... replaced fork seals ,all rubber intake boots , new filter , new tires .carb cleaning , R/R, battery , valve cover gasket , shims, new battery , spark plugs and caps ... Now a tiny little itsy bitsy spring ...sure would be nice if something didnt break for just a week or two !!!

Comment

All in the last 2 months !!! Said a prayer to the bike lords above last nite .... NO MORE PROBLEMS JUST FOR A LITTLE WHILE !!!

Comment

Does anyone know of a good link or site on information about the signal generator and governor assy ?
                        Would appriciate it .. been searching and cant find anything

Comment

Bugger I cant find 2 new springs anywere ..
                          And the guy at to cycle says he cant just sell me 2 springs he can sell me the hole governor assembly ... grrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by lrgguy View Post
                            Looking forward to getting this gs650gl out of my livingroom , and moving my new 78gs1000E in !!!
                            be careful what you wish for! This could be like changing girlfriends- looks good at first, but then......

The guy that's been selling all these parts to you should just give you the governor assembly,cuz you're his meal ticket or his alimony payment! Besides, he'll likely make a killing off the gs1000 too !
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I agree with you 100º/○ Tom !!! Free sounds awsome ... lol like help a single full time father out thats raising two daughter !! Haha

Comment

Working...
                              X