Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator Cover Bolt Diagram ?

Hello Gs Enthusiasts,
    My apologies up front, I am a true blue novice! Today I removed the stator cover to mend a slight leek in the left casing of my 1978 GS 750. I meticulously set each bolt on top of a bucket in the order in which I removed them and then promptly knocked it over
    There are seven bolts of I believe three different sizes and I cannot for the life of me remember which goes where. I've scoured my manual as well as the internet for some sort of a diagram but no such luck.
    Any advice from a seasoned vet would be much appreciated!
    Thanks for your time!

Bolts

It is rather easy to figure out, as the bolts usually have .375 to .5 inch of thread that screws into the case. Just put the cover back in place and then start placing bolts in the holes. If it sticks out an inch, then it is too long for that spot. If it won't catch a thread or only catches one or two, then it is to short for that spot. Don't be in a hurry and you will figure it out. Don't force the bolts and you will be ok.
    1981 GS 1000GLX.
    1981 GS 1000G.
    1981 GS 650GLX.
    1975 TS 185.
    1972 100. Kawasaki.
    1968 100. Suzuki.
    1970 Z 50. Honda.
    1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
    1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Yeah, put all the screws in place loosely to judge how much they stick out; arrange all until they stick out roughly the same amount then tighten.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Here is a little tip. What I do when removing a engine cover. I get a piece of cardboard, draw a sketch of the cover. Then when removing a screw, punch a hole in the cardboard where the screw goes. It will save you time at assembly. Save the cardboard for future use.
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Personally, I do the same as storm64, I use a drawing on a piece of cardboard.

However, since you skipped that step, you can also go to the ultimate source, the parts fiche for your bike.

Go to any of the online vendors, look on the "Crankcase Cover LH" fiche (or click the link above) and look at the diagram in the lower-left corner. Each of the bolts has an item number. Look in the list in the right column for that item number. Now, look at the part number for that bolt. Two of your bolts (the top one over the starter and the one farthest forward) are item number 5. The part number for that bolt is 02112-06457. Looking after the hyphen, you can see that it is a 6mm diameter, 45mm long bolt. Your other bolts are 40mm and 35mm long. Measure your bolts, put them in the correct location.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you everyone for your help! I really like your suggestion for next time Storm 64.
            Cheers!

Comment

Working...
            X