starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter

Can anyone help me out I have a 82 gs 850g seems like every time I want to start it I have to put a screw driver on the pos or neg post of the battery as I push the starter button if I don't do this it will not turn over. Is it a bad ground. Can someone please help me out

When you say you are putting a screwdriver on the + or - I assume you are just pressing on the contacts? If that is the case take off the terminals and give them a good clean so you can see bare metal on battery and clamps then before reconnecting follow the negative to where it is connected to the frame undo the bolt/ screw and scrape both frame and connection to shiney metal then reconnect all. If this cures the problem it sounds like you need to check all terminals for corrosion or dirt.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Yes it can be a bad ground..run a wire from one of the mounting bolts on the selinoid to the neg battery terminal and give it a try. I got lots of paint into the holes when I rebuilt my 78 1000C and it wouldnt even click,,,which it did before tear down. A wire to the frame where the battery box bolts in did the trick.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter opaski View Post
        . Is it a bad ground. .
        NO.

If you are touching a battery connection, and that makes a differernce, well, then, your problem is there - the connection at the battery. Must be loose.

Welcome to GSR.
        Put your location in user profile, put your bike model/year in signature line. Goto UserCP for those.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
        X