Mounting location for SH775 on 1100EZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting location for SH775 on 1100EZ

I have asked eleventybillion electrical questions involving the 775 and harness mods, so I thought I should contribute for a change instead of asking questions...

I made a small bracket that fits nicely inside the frame and shares mounting holes with the rear fuel tank mount.

I began putting things back together this afternoon (installed new stator and got the rotor cover back on, and also re-installed the electrics mounting plate for the fuse block, starter solenoid, R/R)

The SH775 will not fit in the stock location on my EZ without grinding the top cooling fin down completely and drilling holes in the mounting plate.

NONE of the mods I have made to my EZ require any permanent mods to any factory part. No new holes drilled, nothing...and I would like to keep it that way, hence this particular course of action.

The mounting holes for the 775 line up with the stock R/R mounting holes, so I decided to see if there was enough clearance to mount it on the back side of the plate, on the battery compartment side. Mounting right side up, the plug housings/wiring interfere with the frame. Mounting it upside down works perfectly. I installed the Triumph plug harness and installed the seat to ensure there would be no clearance issues. Fits great! Plenty of room to neatly route the wiring to where it needs to be.

I will take a couple photos and post them up in a bit.

**Please note: I am not running the air box...I think, at the very least, trying to mount the 775 in that position with the airbox in place will be much trickier at best, or simply not possible.

I have my factory airbox, but will do a mock up and see if it is feasible, for those folks who switch to the 775 and are running their airbox.

Under the rear fuel mount with mount in place:

Under rear fuel mount without mount in place:

Finally, on the backside of the Fuse block & R/R mounting plate turned upside down:

I hope this is helpful!! I got the idea about the 'under the fuel tank mount" from Tom203. I cannot take credit for the idea
    Last edited by Cassius086; 05-10-2014, 06:18 PM.
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

I don't want to seem like a wet rag, but the reason for the side plate for your GS is that it is a vibration isolated, rubber mounted, location for the bulk of your major electrical components.

In fact it is not the only one. The battery box is also rubber mounted as it typically also houses things like ignitors or R/R's. Other ancillary device are also typically attached through a rubber mount. There are very good reason for this. If you bolt something directly to the frame, it will get shaken a lot and continuously

All electronics are susceptible to vibration as a primary stress factor in shortening the life of such devices.

Comment

Good adaptation.

It still can be done in that location, just incorporate the method used in mounting the gas tank to the bracket.

Comment

Add o-rings or rubber washers under mounting bolts holding the SH-775 to your plate- this will reduce vibration transmitted .
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Not if the nuts of the bolts are hard connected to the bracket and the head of the bolts are connected to the RR. The bolts at some location have to be "floating" in rubber to be isolated. Putting O-Rings between the two parts only put the rings in compression as well at the attaching bolts, but all vibration is still transmitted through. Many people make the same mistake.

Comment

"..but all vibration is still transmitted through. Many people make the same mistake. "

If done properly, vibration will be reduced- it ain't rocket science!
            A rubber carpet pad would also work
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The best you can achieve with that method of isolation is within a horizontal plane, and it will depend on the degree of compression of the O-Ring in relation to the frequency of the vibration.

Look at the rear tank connection, the tabs for the tank are in a floating mode with the bolts, washers, and sleeve in full attachment to the bracket. The rubber surrounding the tabs isolate the tank based on their density.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                I don't want to seem like a wet rag, but the reason for the side plate for your GS is that it is a vibration isolated, rubber mounted, location for the bulk of your major electrical components.

In fact it is not the only one. The battery box is also rubber mounted as it typically also houses things like ignitors or R/R's. Other ancillary device are also typically attached through a rubber mount. There are very good reason for this. If you bolt something directly to the frame, it will get shaken a lot and continuously

All electronics are susceptible to vibration as a primary stress factor in shortening the life of such devices.
                Jim, you're not being a wet blanket at all...When I ordered all new grommets for the battery box, side mountig plate and the fuel tank, I ordered a couple extra. I plan to use a couple of the grommets to isolate that under tank mount if I end up mounting it that way. I am leaning toward leaving it on the backside of the side plate, since it is already isolated against vibration. I also
                plan to post up more pics with the mount properly isolated.
                Last edited by Cassius086; 05-11-2014, 12:20 PM.
                Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

I turned mine upside down, the left bolt lined up but u will need to enlong the right 1. I also knock the connector tabs off 2 clear the tabs of the side cover which cleared the r/r and use marine quick disconnect terminals.

Comment

Working...
                  X